Author Topic: Spring bend  (Read 1714 times)

xarax

Spring bend
« on: April 09, 2014, 04:27:57 PM »
   An once-untucked / "abbreviated" form of an even more symmetric, but also more bulky knot.
   It would be interesting to compare it to the Winter bend !   :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 07:52:05 PM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
Re: Spring bend
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 08:21:53 AM »
As ever, your photography is excellent.  The lighting is so perfect that I feel I am almost looking into a 3D hologram.

As for the knot.  Would I be correct in assuming that I am looking at a pair of enmeshed slipped overhand nooses?

xarax

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 12:25:20 PM »
Would I be correct in assuming that I am looking at a pair of enmeshed slipped overhand nooses?

Yes, indeed, one can see it that way ( I had not !  :) ). I have tied it by first tying the "complete", more symmetric but bulky knot, and then just untucking, once, the ends out of the corresponding collars, in an effort to "abbreviate" the initial bulky nub. Starting from the geometrically most symmetric ( and well-known ) stopper, and subtracting a tuck, seems more easy, conceptually, to me, than starting from the geometrically asymmetric slipped overhand nooses, and meshing their parts. Of course, I can never know, in advance, how another knot tyers will "see" a knot, and how he will tie it and then remember it, by a mental image he will create in his mind for this - so I usually avoid the "step-by-step" tying instructions / "recipes", and present only the compact final knot. It is the geometry of the final knot that makes a practical knot the same or different from another ( and, oftentimes, even the particular dressing of a knot matters a lot ) - "tying instructions" can even be misleading - as in the case of the so different estar and Bull Clove hitches, for example  :), which were thought to be the same, while they are so different knots !   
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 03:13:51 PM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

Luca

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 07:47:06 PM »
Hi xarax,

Reply out of time (but especially out of season!)

Starting from the geometrically most symmetric ( and well-known ) stopper.....

Is a Blimp knot in this case?
Looking at the bend,if the standing ends are the upper/right white end and the lower/left red end,I personally see(or maybe rather: one can see things in this way) the bend as a re-tucked rethreaded Fig. 8 bend,viceversa,if the standing ends are the lower/right white end and the upper/left red end I see it as a re-tucked Zeppelin bend.

Bye!

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 07:54:41 PM by Luca »

xarax

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 08:36:10 PM »
  One can see this glass as half-empty, or as half-full, indeed !  :)
  I have seen it as the un-tucked retraced stopper, shown in the picture. ( I am sorry my comment was not clear enough - I do NOT like "cryptic" descriptions ! )
This is not a knot.

Knutern

• Exp. Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 07:16:05 PM »
Xarax, your spring bend knot looks beautifully  :)

May I ask how does the knot would look like when it's loose, not tightly tied?
I'm aiming for knots that is secure, AND that is easy to untie.

xarax

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 09:28:40 PM »
   Thank you.  :)
   However, a "looking good" form is one, only, ingredient of a good knot. I have not tested this bend to very high loads, so I am not sure if it will retain this form under really heavy loading - and if it will turn out to be an easily/quickly jamming bend, or not. ( These "Season" bends were meant to be bends tied on the very slippery HMPE/HPPE materials, so they were more convoluted than the "common" bends, although it may turn out that they are still not convoluted enough for this purpose. Probably they will proved to be inadequately convoluted, indeed - but, starting from the "common" bends, one should go to the more complex ones only gradually, step-by-step, adding one, only tuck each time, and those bends were meant to serve as such steps... Only if all the possible simpler bends are tested and are proved not as secure as we wish, we should proceed to the next step ).
   We have more than a hundred simple practical bends ( Roger E. Miles shows 60, and if you search in this Forum, you will find some more ), but we have not tested them as we should - tying a bend is quite easy, but it seems that testing it is impossible !  :)
   As I had explained in a previous test, I have tied this bend "backwards", from a more complex to a more simple form : I have first tied the retraced "full" bend, by retracing the stopper shown at my previous post, and then I had un-tucked it once, to retain the "essential" part/core, and get rid of the rest, because I thought that the degree of the added security this added part was offering was not worth the added bulk.
   From time to time, a compile a catalogue of the 12 "best" knots, according to my criteria, of course, I had tied till now. I do not know what does this mean, but the present catalogue does not include any bend !  :) I see 6 hitches and 6 loops, but no bend whatsoever !  :)   
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:29:26 PM by xarax »
This is not a knot.