Author Topic: 2 wraps around hitch  (Read 2495 times)

enhaut

• Exp. Member
2 wraps around hitch
« on: March 20, 2014, 07:25:35 PM »
Hi,
here I present a 2 wraps around hitch for investigation.
I
t shows a "bowline like" (the threading in an out the eye) quality.

Does anybody knows the name of this knot?

thanks,
enhaut

enhaut

• Exp. Member
Re: 2 wraps around hitch
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 12:53:32 AM »
I took the liberty to borrow the nice picture from dfred to compare both knots.

Andalusian; 1 wrap around (front to back) leadind to forming 1 eye (overhand loop),
than 1 wrap around (back to front) leadind to threading the eye and crossing the standing end doing so.

This one ; forming 1 eye (underhand loop) leadind to; 1 wrap around front to back) leading to; threading the eye from under leading to; 1 wrap around (back to front) leading to; threading the eye one last time.

We see that the Andalusian's eye is form after a first wrap, not in this case, so two different knots.

Secure it with a final locking tuck (a half hitch) an this thing is safe under load.

enhaut

• Exp. Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 05:50:35 PM »
Revisiting this thread it came to me that I had to test the reversed version (loading the other end) of the 2 wraps around hitch presented before.

It seems better for two reasons;

In this form the rope is compressed against the pole making it "active" in the locking mechanism.
Now the hitch is simply easier to loosen and release.

The pole in the pictures is a "beaver stick" that I grabed one day alongside the river nearby my home. One can distinguish the traces left by the beast's theet!

Picture
a) the reversed hitch
b) unlocking
c) Beaver stick

enhaut

• Exp. Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 12:19:19 AM »
SquareBanksAlaska's hitch 4 is a fine hitch for sure and clearly (to me) belonging to the Constrictor family.

But I stand correct beliving that the one "reversed" form in this tread is by far easier to loosen.

IMHO a hitch does not have always to be "tight" let's leave this priority to Binders.

Ease of tying, reliability under stress and effortless release would be my aspirations when choosing an hitch.

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 05:59:21 AM »
  I had tried to modify it a little bit, in order to get a more satisfactory solution,
but I think I have modified it too much !  :) See the attached picture.

No, not quite enough : take the tail around over
both parts as it finishes, and then it's positioned
well to be finally tucked out between the opposed
bights, for a sure nip --and possible loading, qua
set-tight-to-object twin-eye knot!  (Do not expect
to untie this after a heavy load --either eye knot
or hitch.)  .:. These amount to adaptations of the
ossel hitch to a large object.  (The ossel h.
being a ring hitch, and these able to hitch a spar.)

--dl*
====

xarax

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 06:31:01 AM »
   I had first described this hitch, and a somewhat peculiar method to tie it  :), at :
   http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4739.msg32209#msg32209
   ( See also the attached picture )
   I believe it is secure quite enough, although it is not TIB - and I admit I have a soft spot with TIB-ness : I always prefer a TIB from a non-TIB knot ( provided it can be easily and quickly tied and untied in-the-bight and in-the-end, of course ). That is why I had not studied this particular hitch more...
   Your modification, if I understand correctly what you "describe", is also secure, but it is also not-TIB - a picture or a sketch would be welcomed.
This is not a knot.