Author Topic: Cat's Paw; revisiting  (Read 1792 times)

enhaut

• Exp. Member
Cat's Paw; revisiting
« on: March 15, 2014, 11:05:08 PM »
Previously I have worked out a binder with the Cat's Paw structure. It can be seen in the thread;

http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4821.0

Here I propose a different usage of the Paw structure. I discovered its capacity to be use as a bend, in this case, between a small an a large diameter rope.

Working name; Cat's Claw bend
Anyone who has a cat knows that its claw grips strongly.
I hope this knot does too!

Is it simple? Yes and no. It requires supple manipulation but the concept is easy to grasp.

Is it stable? I hope so.

Is it jamming prone? I dont have the rig at home to test the knot's behavior.

How about the strength? Again it needs testing.

How about the usage? Joining the small to the big. Is there a family of there?

enhaut

• Exp. Member
Re: Cat's Paw; revisiting
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 09:57:44 PM »
@xarax
Thanks for pointing me to a thread that does not adress the core of my post. ;)
I learned somewhere that the double sheet bend was perfect for joining two ropes a different size.
Here I offered a structure for the same porpose.
You write; "I do not believe that the added twist of the Cat s paw is really needed in the case of bends tied on ordinary material"
This added twist is very important locking the knot.
Plus the Cat's paw requires twists otherwise it is not a Cat's paw, see ABOK no 457.
In the picture you can see what I mean by ropes of different size. :D

enhaut

enhaut

• Exp. Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 05:50:07 PM »
@xarax
"In the attached pictures one can see a very common asymmetrically loaded form of this bend."

Which pictures?

enhaut

• Exp. Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 07:01:20 PM »
@xarax
Ok your were refering to the pictures of the link, I miss that sorry. :(
So I read it, found it interesting, it is precious for me for this where you said:
 " I think that the interlocked bull hitch bend might be a solution for bends tied with ropes of hugely different diameters, the problem knot4u has posed some time ago. But the solution of Inkanyezi, with the Zeppelin bend where the line of the smaller diameter rope is doubled, is also very satisfactory, and it is a benchmark against which the other solutions of this problem should be examined."
Thanks !
ps. wiki gives this on the Cat's paw;
The Cat's paw is a knot used for connecting a rope to an object. It is very similar to the cow hitch except there is an additional twist on each side of the bight, making it less prone to slipping.