Author Topic: Handcuff style - 8 shape base.  (Read 1004 times)

SS369

• Global Moderator
Handcuff style - 8 shape base.
« on: March 16, 2014, 10:39:19 PM »
In the vein of investigating the "handcuff" style binders, here is another to ponder.

It starts out as an 8 shape or a clove hitch with an extra twist to one loop. Thread the working ends through each twisted loop from opposite sides to pass each other. Snug up the nub and tension as needed.

I have found this works well on a cylindrical object with the tensioning bights side by side, as well.

SS
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 11:32:29 PM by SS369 »

xarax

Re: Handcuff style - 8 shape base.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 05:31:32 AM »
   Clever use of the twists of the bights / collars, to achieve stability on a very simple TIB knot !
   However, I do not think that this is a good handcuff-style binder. The reason is evident : there is no deflexion on the returning eye legs as they enter into the knot s nub. Without a minimum deflexion ( even not 90 degrees, which would be almost optimum ), you can not "lock" the tensioned, straightened Tail Ends. As we have seen in the case of the adjustable loops, we need an "Eskimo" entry : an entry of the returning eye leg from the other side of the nub, from which it exits. However, this is not enough : the nub should be of such geometry, and be able to be stabilized in such an orientation, relatively to the axis of loading, that those returning eye-legs form L-shaped "hooks", able to be attached within the "handle" of the nipping structure s "tube" with safety.
   AND this in not enough ! We have to be careful not to over-entangle the returning eye legs, because, then, we would not be able to adjust the length of the binder, when it is under tension, by pulling them. A nipping structure where the returning eye legs would be too much "locked", would be a two-line bend ! See the attached picture, where I tried to use the Strangle as the nipping structure : Even without any deflexion of the Tail Ends, if the knot becomes tight and compact, they will not be able to slip out - but neither we would be able to pull them, to adjust the length of the binder.
   I know it sounds a Catch-22 situation, and it is ! We are walking a very fine line here - a line walked also, with such a spectacular success, by the inventor of the monumental, magnificent Gleipnir...

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 05:32:27 AM by xarax »
This is not a knot.