Author Topic: Knot Development  (Read 13171 times)

GeneJohnson

Knot Development
« on: March 03, 2014, 03:59:36 PM »
Hello folks!  I am a new member to this forum.   Very interesting indeed!  Just wondering what recognition or accreditation is given to someone who develops a new knot. 

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: Knot Development
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 09:53:46 PM »
Hello folks!  I am a new member to this forum.   Very interesting indeed!  Just wondering what recognition or accreditation is given to someone who develops a new knot.

Good day GeneJohnson and welcome.

Well, if it is indeed new, as best as can be determined, then you get to claim and name it. It will be here for the whole of the Internet to find and say Ahh.  ;) You can then link to the posting of it here on your web page or anywhere you frequent on the Net.
If indeed it is significant, you will get the appreciation of knot tyers here and elsewhere. Perhaps one day it will grace the pages of a knot book.

What have you got?
Post some pictures of how it is tied, dressed and what it is good for please. Add any other attributes you think it possesses.

SS

GeneJohnson

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 04:55:33 AM »
Thank you for your reply!  I do have a description and ten sequential photos of my new knot.  Is there a limit to the amount or file size of posted pictures?  I would like to post them tomorrow if possible.

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 09:13:04 AM »
"Attachments and other options" is a click you have
when composing the post, and you can attach up to
four files, with a per-file limit of 100kb (which should
be ample).

:)

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 10:08:42 AM »
 Hello Gene,

Welcome to the Forum.  I don't know if you are a member of the IGKT, but if you are, then each month you will receive a copy of Knotting Matters.  If indeed you have discovered or invented a new knot and it turns out to be a stunner like the recently published Gleipner Knot, then the editor if Knotting Matters will also like to hear from you, not only with details of how to tie and use the knot, but also for the story behind how you came to find it.

But first hurdles first, you need to let it loose here for all to see.  There are some amazing knotting experts here (you have already met one of our gurus, Dan), it never ceases to amaze me the breadth of their knowledge and experience, so don't be too surprised or disappointed if they quickly recognise it as an xyz knot.  The key thing is that you discovered it for yourself and that sir makes you a knotter - so, welcome to the club.

Derek

GeneJohnson

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 01:51:20 PM »
Ok.  I will send separate posts worth of pictures and some background information.  I do believe that a "possibly" new knot is like a fine wine........best shared with others to enjoy.   Thank you much for your replies and information.  Regards!

Gene Johnson
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 02:18:33 PM by GeneJohnson »

GeneJohnson

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 02:26:46 PM »
Thank you for your interest in my "possibly" recently developed knot.  I needed a knot for mooring my boat, but was not impressed with the knots previously devised. Therefore, I decided to develop my own. The knot would have to meet certain criteria. Naturally, the knot would have to be easy to tie and hold securely, however I needed to fulfill other key aspects. First, the knot would have to start off with a couple of wraps to provide control and manageability while completing the knot. This is particularly important when mooring a boat to a dock. Second, the knot would have to be easily untied. Therefore, a quick release "lock up" was established. Third, the knot would have to be tightened using primarily the working end, as opposed to the standing end. This would reduce the amount of slack in the line. I am happy to say that this knot fulfills all of these requirements. Although I developed this hitch for mooring purposes, it can be used for many other applications. Regardless of how the pictures arrive, orientation of the pipe should be horizontal, with the standing end of the rope hanging down.  Best regards!

Gene Johnson

GeneJohnson

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 02:53:19 PM »
Ok, I will need to ask for some help.  Unfortunately, I am having trouble attaching pictures using my tablet pc.   They don't display when I select "preview".   Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you.

Gene Johnson

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 03:04:21 PM »
Good day Gene. Sorry you are having a challenge posting the pictures.

First they have to be 100kb or less, no larger. So you may have to reduce them using a image resizer program or photo editor. There are quite a few free ones out there and if you need some suggestions, just ask.
Or link to them if you have a photo storage on the Internet, such as Flicker, Photobucket, Picasa, etc.

Second, don't preview, just post them if they are the correct sizes. Sometimes the preview just doesn't include the picture, only your text.

Third, if this still won't do right, please consider emailing them to me (or anyone else of your choice. The email addresses are with the member info when you click on their name.) They will get here somehow, some way.

SS

GeneJohnson

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 03:14:05 PM »
Thanks for all your help.  I will keep trying.

Gene Johnson

GeneJohnson

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 06:38:13 PM »
Ok.....let's try this again!  I reduced the file size and will send pics in two separate posts.

Gene Johnson

GeneJohnson

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 06:42:15 PM »
Knot Pics - Part 2.  The last picture is actually the back side of the knot.  Enjoy!

Gene Johnson

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 09:07:04 PM »
Third, the knot would have to be tightened using primarily the working end, as opposed to the standing end. This would reduce the amount of slack in the line.
I don't see where or how the reduction of slack takes place.  Can you elaborate?
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

GeneJohnson

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 10:45:40 PM »
The vast majority of the final tightening of the knot its done with the working end, not the standing end.  Therefore, less slack is introduced between the knot and the object being tied off, such as a boat to a dock. 

xarax

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 12:04:49 AM »
  I had not understood the reason for the first double turn / wrap around the pole ( the one at the right side of the picture ) - would nt a single turn be adequate ? In general, could nt you simplify this hitch more, with fewer turns, so it will consume less material ?
This is not a knot.