Author Topic: bowline or not bowline?  (Read 5585 times)

knotsaver

Re: bowline or not bowline?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 04:10:45 PM »
You are absolutely right. I have already noted this above. Waiting for your method of tying!

Dmitry,
I will post the pictures as soon as I can, but I noticed that my method is an Angler-method, I mean in the first steps I essentially tie an Angler with a different method...

Ciao,
s.

Dmitry

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 08:30:01 PM »
Distortion and jamming test.
My primitive equipment does not allow me to measure the load and see the knot under load. I just load the rope until it breaks or starts to bend winch :). The test used a 6 mm polyamide cord and 10 mm carabiners. After the destruction of one knot, the other was easily untied by fingers.

Dmitry

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2018, 09:18:42 PM »
Here is another loop in the same manner. It is really-truly bowline now!
https://youtu.be/4CgALs61NFQ

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2018, 10:31:28 PM »
Nice music.  I'm not a big fan of widening the upper collar (U-shape) on bowlines as that can lead to a destabilizing effect on the shape.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 10:32:13 PM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

Dmitry

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2018, 09:53:19 AM »
I'm not a big fan of widening the upper collar (U-shape) on bowlines as that can lead to a destabilizing effect on the shape.
I'll test it and report the results...

agent_smith

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2018, 02:36:25 AM »
per Dmitry:

Thanks for your presentation Dmitry. Nice work!
This one is very interesting indeed.
I tied it and had a close look at how the nipping structure (which takes the form of a helix/loop) encircles and clamps both legs of the collar.
When you look from the 'front' side - it appears that the nipping structure doesn't fully encircle and clamp both legs of the collar - because the tail ('working end') partially displaces/occludes the helix.
However, when you examine thew reverse side, you can see that the nipping structure does eventually fully encircle and clamp both legs of the collar. This reminds me that it if often better to view 'Bowlines' from the side that emphasizes the nipping structure.

So I am saying that yes, you have indeed created a 'Bowline'.

Some comments:
The turn around the 'ongoing eye leg' is similar to Heinz Prohaska Double bight Bowline (aka Janus Bowline) - and then you have followed in Scott's footsteps and used his 'Scotts lock' tail maneuver to secure the structure. Prohaska made his 'working end' turn in the opposite direction around the ongoing eye leg.

Your presentation also has 3 rope diameters inside the nipping loop/helix - which helps to pad it out and increases the radius of the nipping loop/helix.

It isn't great in a ring loading profile because the nipping structure is pulled and widened which compromises its clamping effect.

Dmitry

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2018, 07:35:57 AM »
Nice work!
This one is very interesting indeed.
Thank you very much! :)))

alanleeknots

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2018, 07:59:46 AM »
Hi All,
         Dmitry lovely knot lovely work, I like it.
         謝謝 alanleeknots.

anything