Author Topic: A Tiny Bit Of Publicity for IGKT  (Read 2008 times)

snarly

A Tiny Bit Of Publicity for IGKT
« on: February 13, 2014, 05:06:53 PM »
This is my first post as a member of the IGKT.  I just wanted to let everyone know that although I am not a skilled knot tyer who can identify and tie even one or two knots (bends, stoppers etc.) from memory.  I am a knot tyer who loves making things with rope, string, whatever.  To date I still require a guide to do anything (other than splicing, which is the first thing I taught myself to do and so it has stuck).  That being said, I wanted to let people know about the guild and so I integrated some knot work into what I do for a living. (I am a professional grower at a retail nursery).  I am conducting a seminar the Valentine's Day weekend (Saturday) on how to make a string garden.  However, the whole point of this post is to let you know that I appeared on a local television program to talk about the string gardens and was able to include the IGKT in my spot.  I used a knot covering from C.A.B.O.K. to wrap the string garden in as a way to make them fancier.  Unfortunately the cameraman did not get a close-up of the one I used on the string garden itself, but the hostess picked up a knot that I had laid out flat on the table as an example and the camera got a great shot of that one. I was just excited to be able to mention the guild on television.  That's one way to get some attention for us eh?  If anyone wants to view the short (5 minutes) clip than you can follow (or not) this link for the next 10 days or so to see it.  The picture you want to click on to play will say 3 Plus Your Gardening with a sub title that says Signal Mountain Nursery shows us how to make a string garden.  I couldn't get the web address to hyper-link so sorry but you should be able to cut and paste it and get to the "3 Plus You" website. That is the name of the show by the way.  I am doing what I can in my own small way to further the interest in our guild.  Hope it helps.  I can't imagine it hurting us eh?????  Glad to be a part!
 http://www.wrcbtv.com/category/195151/3-plus-you

aknotter

• Exp. Member
  • Member IGKT-PAB since 2000
    • Pacific Americas Branch of the IGKT
Re: A Tiny Bit Of Publicity for IGKT
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 12:34:39 AM »
WELL DONE!
Jimmy R Williams - IGKTPAB Secretary/Treasurer
Site: IGKTPAB.ORG Email: IGKTPAB@GMAIL.COM
Event Pix: PICASAWEB.GOOGLE.COM/IGKTPAB

snarly

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 01:16:49 AM »
Thank You So Much aknotter.

Znex

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 08:25:04 PM »
Hey, you're famous now ;-)

Good job and enjoyed the video... nice job on the knots.

snarly

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 01:05:46 AM »
Glad you liked the video Znex, although I find it a little embarrassing.  Its one thing to look in the mirror and another thing entirely to see yourself on TV.  I look better in the mirror.  Thanks for noticing the knot!!  That one is going on the gear shifter in my truck.   I traded in the car with a covered shifter so now I have to cover the shifter in my truck.  It feels great when you shift and it is a little warmer on cold mornings than just the plastic and since I only drive manual transmissions and run up and down a mountain everyday on the way to & from work, I handle my shifter a lot.  I can tie anything with the instructions in front of me but not very much without them.  I guess I need to practice more than I do now.  Practice really is the only way that I know how to get good at anything eh? By the way.  When I gave the classes (two so far) on how to make string gardens, I have included the IGKT logo in my powerpoint presentation and encourage my students to try.  So far no one has attempted the fancy knot, they just wind every which way with no rhyme or reason.  Oh well, they still look good, and I will keep trying to get people to try the knot because everyone likes it and thinks it looks great!  I babble, sorry.

Enrique Cardiel

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 06:09:33 AM »
I'm a new member as well and will share this on my FaceBook page! Way to go and nice knot!

anything