Author Topic: newbie question: knots in 1.5 inch diameter hessian rope  (Read 4843 times)

tim89531

newbie question: knots in 1.5 inch diameter hessian rope
« on: January 01, 2014, 09:13:16 PM »
Hi,
I am newbie.  I want to tie a really thick (1.5 in) hessian (? or similar natural fibre) rope to a bolt in the ceiling for kids to climb, and the thickness of this rope is proving a problem. 

All the knots I can find in books etc are useless because the rope's 'turning circle' (there's probably a better technical term) is too large: I can't form a bight in the rope that closes in on itself adequately, and most bends I try cannot form properly.  If I force a curve in the rope I fear the threads in the rope will break or produce an unravelling force. 

Am I better treating the rope as a straight pole, and using (e.g.) a smaller cord via a prussic hitch to attach to the ceiling?

And are stopper knots in such a thick rope prohibited because they cannot be tightened without destroying the rope? 

Thanks for any suggestions,

tim

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: newbie question: knots in 1.5 inch diameter hessian rope
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 12:31:34 AM »
Hi Tim and welcome.

I have a used climbing rope (1.25") that I have suspended from the ridge beam of my shop. When I got it, some time back, it had an overhand tied at the bottom for people to put their feet on to get stabilized. I had a heck of a time untying it, so I know that a large rope such as this can be tightened to that degree and it hasn't been damaged either by the tying, the set knot/abuse or the untying.

If you do use a gripping hitch with a smaller diameter rope to affix it to your anchor, make sure that it exceeds all unexpected loadings. Could be that multiple assailants will trying their best to pull it down.  ;) Same goes for the anchor point itself.

I would recommend a eye bolt with nut and washer (not a screw) then use a strong cord and many wraps to create an eye loop. Give a look here . http://www.ropeworks.biz/archive/seizing.html

Then there is the possibility that you might want to learn a spliced eye or wall and crown knots that will work with laid ropes. http://www.cosmopolitanuniversity.ac/library/knots/13510-h.htm

SS

tim89531

Re: newbie question: knots in 1.5 inch diameter hessian rope
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 09:55:14 AM »
Thanks!

Tim

anything