Author Topic: Unsafe load?  (Read 1580 times)

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
Unsafe load?
« on: October 10, 2013, 04:33:11 PM »
The attached photos show a load of hay on a trailer being towed by a van. The pics were taken on my phone yesterday (and I wasn't driving) through the windscreen in the pouring rain hence they are not clear (the second is an enlarged detail from the first). These rolls of hay weigh around a ton each and although held in place with a heavy duty strap the strap was attached to a piece of what looked like 6mm split film polypropylene placing the load at right angles to this rope! Needless to say we turned off at the first opportunity. There is no registration plate on the trailer either.

Barry

Dan_Lehman

Re: Unsafe load?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 03:37:45 PM »
There is no registration plate on the trailer either.
And, egadz, LOOK : they're driving on the wrong
side of the road!!!
 ;D

Laying a protractor on the flat monitor image
gives the angles at equilateral stage --120degrees--;
I surmise that this is slightly exaggerating of the
rope's angle, so figure maybe 100degrees,
and load on the line roughly some 3/4 of that
on the tape!?

I concur in your doubt!  (Actually, we should be
stronger than that, and you acted wisely.)  And
that tape has just the sort of attachment hook
for the bumper, it appears.

Now, if we only see the knots involved,
and we might more to rant about.   ;)

--dl*
====

ps : "The Best Camera : the one you have with you."

[Inkanyezi] gone

• Pro three strand splice
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 01:00:08 PM »
Is that rope attached to the tail light? ;-)

I have seen worse, including large blocks of stone on top of a load - one once hit the pavement just about a metre from me, when I was waiting for the lights to change.

Unsafe load is a rather universal problem. The worst I have seen by far was a combine harvester loaded on a lorry in Cuba. I saw no straps at all, and the harvester machine protruded about one metre on the left side of the lorry, which had a heavy list to the left. I was in a car behind it, but I had no camera handy - btw it was rather dark, so the protruding part of the harvester would hardly be seen by any oncoming traffic, and I doubt that I could have got any good image. I saw that oncoming traffic was close to touch the machine.
All images and text of mine published on the IGKT site is licensed according to a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

Gwynneth

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 11:56:02 AM »
My ex used to be a farm labourer and it is amazing how these bales do not move. Everything needs to be put into perspective - how many 1000's of bales are moved each year 'insecurely' and how many bales fall off? Although the bales look unsafe, it would take a lot to actually lose one, their weight holds them down. I used to drive a Massey Ferguson 35,  across half a mile of field,  towing a 30' trailer, stacked 8 small hay bales high. The bales were not secured at all, and yet I never lost one.

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 01:04:05 AM »
Gwynneth, thanks for bringing things into perspective.
Yes, I suppose the somewhat compressible nature of
the bales makes rolling of one and UPON another both
less easy than were the items of firmer constitution;
and to this, add in the even dubiously strong securing.

One just hopes that were the conditions of the bound
item(s) changed, that those doing the securing would
then recognize a tougher challenge, and alter their
rigging appropriately.

Cheers,
--dl*
====