Author Topic: New to knotting forum  (Read 1078 times)

Paul Atlonson

New to knotting forum
« on: December 30, 2013, 12:04:40 AM »
Hello all,

thank you for having a forum for me to join.  I hope to share my knotting attempts and learn a great deal from you.

I am a new leader here in County Durham and a former Cub Scout when I was younger.  I have always enjoyed learning new knots and recently received a book by Des Pawson for Xmas and have already completed my first ever Monkey's fist.  Along with climbing and fishing knots I have used over the years and a few survival bracelets I am looking mainly to expand my knowledge to include other aspects such as lashing used in pioneering.

From reading the website I see that there is not a branch North of Leeds and wondered if there was a reason for this and if anyone was interested in starting one I would love to get involved.

Kind regards

Paul Atkinson
17th Durham Coxhoe

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: New to knotting forum
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 03:42:45 PM »
Welcome Paul.
We are also glad to have a forum for you to join.   :)

Do share some of what you are up to when you can. I am sure there are participants that will enjoy viewing it. Please try to post them in the most appropriate Board (Chit Chat, Decorative, etc....)

Perhaps one of your countrymen will be able to answer your last question and suggest how you might find some kindred spirits close to you.

SS

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
Re: New to knotting forum
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 01:58:49 PM »
Hi Paul

You're right the most northerly branch we have in the UK is West Yorkshire who meet twice a year in March and November (Sunday March 23rd is next) in Pudsey, Leeds.  This is a well attended meeting and some members travel quite long distances (it's approaching 100 miles for me for example as I live on the Wirral) - Bruce Turley our membership secretary usually travels up from Birmingham and brings his "shop" - Bruce sells cordage and all manner of hardware such as keyrings. Chances are we have only a handful of members in the North East unfortunately. If you are interested drop me an email (my address is in my profile) I'll send you the details of the next meeting in Leeds.

Barry