Author Topic: Knot Booklet  (Read 9291 times)

Wed

Re: Knot Booklet
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 10:52:02 AM »
5. If you are using a word processor, all that linking ought to be done for you by the software.

75RR

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 11:32:03 AM »
5. If you are using a word processor, all that linking ought to be done for you by the software.

Word → pdf → links added manually in acrobat
also problem of page design (left over space)
also problem of pamphlet becoming booklet becoming book
also already have 6 stopper knots in what is a small publication, a plentiful sufficiency, I would have thought.

By the way, did you download a copy? Did you like it?

Wed

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 01:53:52 PM »
I viewed it online some time ago. Today it is also downloaded.

That is one great workaround. I have to write some words in Word at work, So I understand your pain. I use Libreoffice myself. I'd complete the whole process in Writer. That way, links, layout, index, captions, the lot, is made in one go.

I like the idea of collecting a small selection of useful knots. But I am no user of practical ones. Basically, if Dan Lehman has comments, I respect those.

My personal preference would be to present the knots only. While the imagery of laid rope is very neat, I wouldn't go that way.

Being a Swede, and thus European, copyright is automatically implied. There's nearly a whole page right there.

Added: I wrote a document a few years ago on writing documents with OpenOffice.org. It's for an older version, and I was a bit less proficient then. It is at http://www.wed.se/ under "Skrifter" and a bit down. Yes, English.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 02:04:48 PM by Wed »

75RR

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 02:41:14 PM »

Being a Swede, and thus European, copyright is automatically implied. There's nearly a whole page right there.

Not sure in what context you have written this sentence, left over from a correction/copy paste?

Wed

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2013, 02:46:17 PM »
I was referring to your page 4.

75RR

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2013, 03:04:15 PM »

I was referring to your page 4.

You think it a bit much? I was wondering if I should add more!
Almost added lightning strikes and infertility to the mix. ;)
Then again I do not live in Sweden.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 03:53:27 PM by 75RR »

Wed

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2013, 03:38:05 PM »
The booklet is yours to govern. If the page is there, make use of the space.

75RR

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2013, 11:45:59 PM »
Additional changes to Knot Booklet ✻

(#1)     Small (but important) change to Fig. 35 (ends in top knot image now in accord with bottom knot)

+ text changes to:

(#1)     The Gleipnir               page 30 (Added rope slippage info)
(#2)     The Constrictor Knot   page 30 (Added "in thin cord or twine", however it still says "to undo, it is
            sometimes best cut")
(#3&4) The Strangle knot       page 31 (Added Whipping as a use for additional turns + removed "easier to untie than
            the Constrictor")
(#7)     The Bachmann           page 35 (Added "its function is to help avoid jamming due to over-tightening.")
              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
re #5: there really is no room for an additional knot + already have drawings of 6 stopper knots
re #6: awaiting sketch to assess changes proposed 

✻ thanks to Dan Lehman

It is not a requirement to post a comment if one downloads the booklet, though it should be. ;)

« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 10:52:16 AM by 75RR »

75RR

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2013, 01:10:37 PM »
Additional minor corrections:

Waggoner's Hitch (page 16)

Had previously made changes to Fig. 13 (added hook and arrow + tightened upper loop) to clarify workings.
Have now made minor text changes, mainly reference on how to secure the hitch when under tension + sequenced Fig. 25 to 27. (a small change but one that will be appreciated by those that straighten picture frames.)

saildude

• Boating Safety Tips, Tricks & Thoughts from Captnmike
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2013, 10:32:09 PM »
Nice job - lots of work - thanks for sharing

anything