Author Topic: Subject: Sending & Receiving Personal Messages  (Read 22749 times)

WebAdmin

• Administrator
Subject: Sending & Receiving Personal Messages
« on: September 03, 2013, 06:59:22 AM »
This post is addressed to all Forum members both present and future.  Personal Messages (PMs) are a means to enable communication between Forum members without having to disclose personal details such as email addresses. There are times when a member will wish to seek clarification, an opinion or simply some advice or information from another member without going public. As such PMs should always be treated as confidential by the recipient(s) and never quoted in Forum posts. If the originator of a PM wishes to post the same or similar text into a discussion then this should be by either simple copy and paste or by retyping the material; it is then up to the recipient(s) of the original PM to post a public response if they wish. It is NOT acceptable to avoid using the Quote function by saying  "I sent a PM to [so and so] saying.....".

If members cannot rely on their PMs being kept confidential then the system falls into disrepute and everyone suffers so please have regard to the above.

Thank you.
Lesley
WebAdmin

David R

Re: Subject: Sending & Receiving Personal Messages
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 06:29:21 AM »
It is NOT acceptable to avoid using the Quote function by saying  "I sent a PM to [so and so] saying.....".

I was with you until this sentence. Can you please clarify?

Thanks,
David

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 03:44:30 PM »
The "Quote" function is available for all posts including PMs. This allows you to select some or all text from a post or PM which will then appear in a quote box and you can comment on it. However this function should not be used to give a direct quote from a PM in an open Forum post as by its nature the PM is intended to be part of a private conversation.  It would be unacceptable to circumvent the "Quote" function by simply retyping the material to be quoted from a PM and this was the point of the original note.

Hope this helps.

Sweeney

David R

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 07:41:53 AM »
Thank you. Got it...

David R

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 01:02:50 AM »
Well, it seems that I'm "not allowed to send personal messages." I'm guessing that's a result of my having only just started participating, but I couldn't find anything that explains this in the help system. How do I earn permission to send PMs? Is it just a matter of time, or is there something I must do to prove myself trustworthy?

Your feedback would be appreciated,
David

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 02:14:10 AM »
Good day drosen.

The forum is set up to require a member to post 15 times before they have the ability to use the personal message function. This was set this way to limit spamming.
Keep posting, you're not far now.

SS

David R

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 02:48:20 AM »
Thanks, SS! A nice, easy hurdle to clear...

Watermac

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 12:03:23 AM »
Hello, administrator I am brand new to the forum and would love to get some feedback on a new knot I have possibly created.  I can only find options to read and reply to existing posts, but not to create my own. I am only using a mobile device.  Can you please tell me how to initiate a post if my own? Thank you,  Clay

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 12:46:14 AM »
Hello Clay and welcome.

It looks like you figured it out with your "Possible New Hitch Knot" thread.

Add pictures by reducing them using either an online photo resizer, photo editing software even a mobile (some) can do this.
The pictures(s) each can't exceed 100 kbs.

SS369

PeterG

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 01:59:33 AM »
It is with great sadness, the Pacific Area Branch reports the loss of member Charlie Bell.
A memorial to his life is found on Youtube at https://youtu.be/OhhhRxPabRU

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2022, 04:07:16 AM »
A well done and fitting tribute. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Fair winds Charlie Bell.

SS

anything