Author Topic: Springy bowline  (Read 1613 times)

kd8eeh

• Exp. Member
Springy bowline
« on: August 16, 2013, 03:33:37 AM »
This knot uses the ropes resistance to bending while under tension to form a spring, so that a rope will stretch and help reduce the effects of a jerking load.  Currently, it is imperfect, as the tail is not well held, making it possible for the collars to change size and it requires the collars to be sized rather exactly to use.  It does not work well when the pull on the eye legs is uneven, which is particularly problematic because the knot adds slack in one leg and not the other, and in many ropes a lot of the springieness comes from the rope being bent more than is good for it.  There are probably more problems I am missing.  Hopefully one of you will be able to see a solution to some of these problems. 
I think it also may be possible to to use a similar structure to make a spring in the middle of one rope, to help with jerking loads, but I haven't looked into it very much.
The first two pictures show the knot from front and back views, and the last one shows what it does when load is applied.

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: Springy bowline
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 03:37:30 AM »
Is this the cure for the common bowline?
 ;)  ;D :o  ::)  :'(

alpineer

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 05:06:02 AM »
Is this the cure for the common bowline?
 ;)  ;D :o  ::)  :'(

;D

kd8eeh

• Exp. Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 09:29:36 AM »
Having now read what was salvageable from that thread, I do not think this is the cure.  Under complete slack, the nipping loop still can loosen, redundancy just makes it more difficult.  Preventing the tail from falling out could be accomplished by adding an overhand around the standing part, perhaps, but it still doesn't tackle the basic problem.  Also, this knot takes an exorbinant amount of rope to tie, and as it currently exists, is not reliable enough to function as a spring without constant adjustment being made to the sizes of the collars.  It also works differently in every rope i tie it in, so i don't think it works in general.  Is there a known cure for this cure?

xarax

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 11:49:32 AM »
   I believe that the "Braided bowline" (1) offers some shock absorption of the tensile forces acting on the eye leg of the Tail, because the of this "spring" placed on top of the nipping turn, from which this eye leg is hanging.

1. http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4283
This is not a knot.