Author Topic: Figure out an easy TIB tying method for Scott s locked TIB bowline  (Read 29161 times)

alanleeknots

Re: Figure out an easy TIB tying method for Scott s locked TIB bowline
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2016, 09:26:46 PM »
Hi All,
         I have a video how to tie this left hand Scott s locked bowline
           謝謝   alan lee    alanleeknots at you tube.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 09:28:00 PM by eric22 »

jarnos

• personal homepage
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2021, 03:32:17 PM »
I made a video of tying the knot TIB way, too:

I made another thread about (the naming of) the knot at https://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=7043.0
Jarno Suni

agent_smith

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2021, 03:45:40 AM »
Hello jarnos,

Thanks for your video presentation.
As I have stated several times in this forum and in my technical papers, reverse engineering a knot is arguably the most effective way to explore 'TIB' tying methods and indeed whether a knot is in fact 'TIB' (Tiable In the Bight).
That is, commence untying a knot without access to either end, doing it methodically and systematically; step-by-step.

One thing that interests me is how many different TIB methods exist for a particular knot species.
Each method must be clear and distinct from a competing/alternate method (ie not just a slight modification of another TIB sequence).

It does seem that in the case of 'Bowlines' - the collar is the last component to be manipulated and formed in any 'TIB' sequence?

Going back and reading the original post by knot master Xarax (and other earlier posts) - there appears to be no reference to chirality - and instead, Ashley's descriptors of right-handed and left-handed simple Bowlines prevails. I find this unfortunate.
In my view, the terms left-handed and right-handed should be reserved for loop chirality (ie 'handedness' of the nipping loop).
I find it simple and easy to assign the letters 'S' to left-handed loops and 'Z' to right-handed loops.

I am also of the view that the so called 'Scotts lock' should be narrowed to a geometry where the tail initially performs U turn and re-enters the nipping loop between the legs of the collar and then exits from the collar on a parallel pathway adjacent with the SPart. The fundamental nature of the locking maneuver can be applied to both #1010 (tail inside) and #1034 1/2 (tail outside).

In doing so, this narrows the range of candidates that could claim the title of 'Scotts locked Bowline' - rather than loosening the definition and opening the floodgates for an endless number of variations and permutations.