Author Topic: Saving life knot  (Read 9604 times)

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: Saving life knot
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2013, 03:03:00 PM »
I've been practising the KDL today and I've noticed that every so often I do something wrong because the whole thing slides instead of locking, but I'm damned if I can see where I'm making the error.

Frustrating  :(
If you keep things too loose as you tie it, it can capsize into a shrinking double loop.  I've brought this up before as a problem, but I don't know for sure if it's what you're experiencing.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 03:10:00 PM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Festy

• Exp. Member
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2013, 09:40:14 PM »
I've noticed that every so often I do something wrong
Festy, please; tie the knot shown in
http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=3571.msg20408#msg20408
It will take you one minute - five, in the worst case...Tell me if it will ever happen to you to tie it wrongly - because I claim that you can not !  :)

X1, the knot is easy to tie, but only if I place the rope on the ground first.

It seems to be a very secure knot.

F

Festy

• Exp. Member
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2013, 09:44:47 PM »
Knot4U, alpineer and roo,

I think I was using the correct method to form the loops, but sometimes it would go wrong somehow.

However, I shall endeavour to persevere!  :D

F

Festy

• Exp. Member
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2013, 09:47:38 PM »
One other thing guys, in the youtube video of the Karash Harness, I cannot see exactly how the demonstrator is tying the loops around his waist and chest.

Any advice on that problem.

thanks,

F

knot4u

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2013, 10:06:35 PM »
One other thing guys, in the youtube video of the Karash Harness, I cannot see exactly how the demonstrator is tying the loops around his waist and chest.

Any advice on that problem.

thanks,

F

Those are Bowlines.  The trick is you use both strands of rope for the nipping part of each Bowline, but you use just the one strand (working end) to go around your torso.  The strand that goes around your torso is the loop of the Bowline.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:24:52 PM by knot4u »

Festy

• Exp. Member
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2013, 09:45:33 PM »

Those are Bowlines.  The trick is you use both strands of rope for the nipping part of each Bowline, but you use just the one strand (working end) to go around your torso.  The strand that goes around your torso is the loop of the Bowline.

Thanks for that, knot4u,

I have mastered it now. So it looks like the Karash DL with the bowline(s) is the way to go. It's a lot more comfortable than a single torso loop -  even if you need to be careful of the positioning at the nether regions.  ;D