Author Topic: Analysis of Bowlines paper uploaded for review and comment (PACI website)  (Read 197482 times)

agent_smith

Xarax, evidently you think that what I am thinking is in fact what you think I am thinking when in reality I like to think about things by think-tank thoughts :)

I am aware that Dan had favored the 'Anti-Bowline' moniker... However, what I remain unclear on is the underpinning reasoning behind choosing the term 'anti'.

I also acknowledge your reasoning on the collar structure and how it manoeuvers around the SPart or an eye leg. What is needed is some clear content that is presentable in a document that can be easily understood by the general (lay) public (and with accompanying high quality photos to illustrate the concepts).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 03:37:55 PM by agent_smith »

xarax

what I remain unclear on is the underpinning reasoning behind choosing the term "anti'.

The bowline has two parts : the first, is the knot tied on the Standing Part before the eye, the "nipping structure" - which, in the case of the two common Standard bowlines ( the left- and the right-handed ), but also in the case of the four "Eskimo" bowlines, is a single nipping loop.
    Now, when you have formed this part, and you had also formed the eye of the loop, it is time to drive the continuation of the returning eyeleg through the nipping loop. HOW ? By which side are you going to enter into this nipping loop ? This is the moment of truth, regarding what you are going to tie : a bowline, or an anti-bowline. And it is the ONLY moment that is going to determine which of the two you are going to tie. So, it is reasonable that, when you enter from the one side, you call what you tie "the X knot", and when you enter by the opposite side, you call what you tie "the anti-X knot".
   After the returning eye-leg has passed through the nipping loop, it has  to collar something ! What will collar, which "limb" of the nipping loop it can collar, is already determined by the SIDE from which it had entered into, and the side from which it had exited from, the nipping loop. If you had made the X decision, you have to tie a bowline, and to collar the Standing End. If you had made the anti-X decision, you have to tie an anti-bowline, and collar the on-going eyeleg. Therefore, the decision you made in the first place, during the moment of truth, the side by which the returning eyeleg enters into the nipping loop, is critical, and the two possible choices determine the two broad classes of bowline-like loops : the bowlines, and the anti-bowlines.   
   Well, that is what I think dan Lehman thinks !  :) :)

My point was to concentrate to the side of the nipping loop into which the "moving" end of the Standing Part, while it is tracing its path though the nipping loop, enters into or exits from. We have to define those two sides somehow. Again, SIDES of the nipping loop, not legs of the collar !

I do NOT agree with the neither the pictures nor the labelling of the anti-bowline you show ! The forms you show them, they are NOT stable knots ! When the on-going eyeleg has been loaded, the Tail End will settle in a position at its one or its other side, and this is of HUGE importance ( topological, geometrical, and structural ) ! How the last segment of the Standing Part ( the segment I call the "Tail part" ) is squeezed by the on-going eyeleg, plays a MAJOR role regarding security and, possibly, strength. Show the "Eskimo" bowlines as they are when they are LOADED, and with eyelegs more or less parallel. Then, you will see that there are FOUR "Eskimo" bowlines - if you wish to use the terms right- and left-handed for them, two of them will be left-handed and two right-handed. Then, you have to distinguish those pairs with yet another term - I am not sure that it is correct to label them as "Kalmyk" and "anti-Kalmyk" ... I am not sure which of the four was the original "Kalmyk bowline" ( IFF it was one, only, of them, i.e., if this term was so exclusive, as to it define completely one, only, knot...)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 04:42:59 PM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

xarax

the collar structure and how it manoeuvers around the SPart or an eye leg.

First, the "collar structure" does NOT manoeuvre around anything - simply because it does not move !  :) It is the knot tied on / with the Standing Part after the eye.
  Second, what you call SPart, is a WRONG term, because anything before the Tail End is Standing Part !  :)
  The correct term is "Standing End" ( the segment outside the knot, beyond the collar - to distinguish it from the "Standing Part", the segment inside the knot ) - or any other term you choose, but NOT Standing Part - because an eye leg is inside the knot, so it is part of the Standing Part !

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   We have also to distinguish the two eyelegs some how - and by using one, only, adjective !  :) 
   For the time being, I use the terms "on-going" eyeleg, and "returning" eyeleg, because I believe that we should better define a direction on all segments of the Standing Part, and this direction should better lead to the Tail End - so the "first" eyeleg is "on-going" ( to the tip of the eye ) and the "second" eyeleg is "returning" ( from the tip of the eye ). I guess that can also choose many other pairs of adjectives, to distinguish / denote the difference between the two eyelegs.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 05:04:44 PM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

Dan_Lehman

Also, do you or Dan have a good quality photo of what you refer to as 'anti-bowline' structure?
?!  --as opposed to the one you have already posted,
to which I noted that swapping tail/S.Part converted
it from *bowline* to *"anti-bowline"* ?!

If you want just the base structural parts, you can
show the start-via-tail-leg-return-insertion through
the turNip for the bowline/Eskimo bowline pair
--although in that case, given their respective contin-
uations, those working ends would/should be headed
in different directions; whereas the one above is more
nearly the same, putting in a loop around a loop.
(One could also, re the anti-bowline case, suggest
that there is often more challenge to defend against
--or to tolerate in the loaded knot-- the turNip opening
to a more obvious helix than staying qua "loop"/circle.)

As X. recognized & I confirmed some time ago, my term
"anti-bowline" is derived from "anti-cyclone", which pertains
to orientation/direction of like things --opposite only
in this quality but not in basic nature, or somehow one
the undoing of the other.
And, as I've also noted, it is an overloading of "bowline",
as by a 2nd sense (an other "loading" of the word),
"bowline" is the title for both (pro-)/anti- --i.e.,. that they
share in common the bowlinesque nipping loop and so
on, just differing on direction of tail re-entry.

--dl*
====

SS369

• Global Moderator
Hi agent_smith.

Just some input for the discussion.

So many variations/orientations to consider!

In the cropped and attached picture (yours) I find that, in my mind at least, if the eye knot contains this basic structure, with the tail outside or as shown, then I consider it in the bowline family. The collar part can make multiple or otherwise convolutions around the standing part. Afterward, the tail can do all manner of things. But, as long as the knot has the basic #1010 element, it is a bowline, IMO.
The exception,  perhaps, being the Eskimo family. Maybe included because it is an accepted name(?) only.

SS

Dan_Lehman

I am aware that Dan had favored the 'Anti-Bowline' moniker...
However, what I remain unclear on is the underpinning reasoning behind
choosing the term 'anti'.
About which you should be clear, now; HOWEVER,
you would be wise to consider how well the term suits
general presentation --it would take a direct presentation,
at least.  In other words, I'm clear on it and X. is and ... ,
but that doesn't mean that it is without potential trouble
if put to the general populace.  And, I noted already the
"overloading" of it, as both "anti-" and "bowl," are in
my thinking halves of anOTHER "bowl." word.  I acknowledge
this overloading --which, mind, comes also with "loop" and
why I use "eye knot", a novel term w/o confusion from
anOTHER meaning, but just confounding a bit maybe from
its rank newness in the literature (finding companionship
in "eye splice", I hope).

So, I wrote to clarify for you; I respect that such understanding
nevertheless might not compel one to use such terminology
overall.  (SOMEtimes, the structural aspects are a blur, too:
i.e., the "opening into helix" aspect, which seems more likely
for anti-bwls, can also happen in the good ol' #1010 (and into
capsizing to a "pile-hitch noose" or helical eye knot);
and some anti-bwls can be pretty good on preserving the
roundness of the turNip.
.:.  One might sit back an reflect on how helpful the
distinction is on one's own particular set of knots  presented!?
(In other forums --here, w/knotters--, we need handles to focus
our meaning on something, and fashion terms on the fly for such
with-the-initiated chatter.  What goes out to other forums might
need editing/revising/adjusting/refining.)

I also acknowledge your reasoning on the collar structure
and how it manoeuvers around the SPart or an eye leg.
What is needed is some clear content that is presentable in a document
that can be easily understood by the general (lay) public (and with
accompanying high quality photos to illustrate the concepts).
Pardon in that I've skipped this, in time deficit.
I could see "bight" as maybe a helpful descriptor?
One can "loop" or "bight" with a tail, in binding/securing/
stabilizing the turNip --myrtile loops, and #1010
bights, and EBDB does both (and EBSB goes off the deep
end, Yo.-Yo.-ing!   ;D  )

Second, what you call SPart, is a WRONG term,
because anything before the Tail End is Standing Part !
NO, I protest!!  In fact, as I allowed earlier re the dubious
*acronym* aspect to "S.Part/SPart", one might see this
Dan-term as making a departure from the commonly given
definition (and implications) of "standing part"
--which commonly connotes a inactive part of the knot
during the tying process (but maybe ignoring this on
some *backwards*-tied knots (where shortness enables tying
end-outwards, so to speak --e.g., snood to long-line of a trawl)).

What I've wanted was a term for the
bears full force into the nub, until U-turn (or ...)".
.:.  So, in that sense, one can see X. wrong about their
equality --right about the old term, wrong about the new.
IMO--, and I think most will agree, the complete knot is
in need  of denotation of parts --and maybe more often
& importantly, than is the inchoate knot.
(ANd maybe "standing part" better suits its old sense,
and "S.Part" should find another term.  I've used the
shorthand, though, as so often it is the former --or. to
X's critique, the leading part of that-- that ultimately
becomes what I see as the latter.  (I have read in Ashley
"the lead" but don't fully grasp what he means by that,
and think it too isn't quite what I am seeking.)

--dl*
====

Dan_Lehman

So many variations/orientations to consider!
Or not : i.e., your point should resonate strongly,
as the general reader will more likely be put off
by such number, than enthralled by all the options.
And a culling / choosing --hard though that is--
might be in order.  Or some sense of *principals*
and *subordinates*?!

There can be ways to generally point to the vast
set of possibilities, showing structural parts and how
things can be *modularized* and modules combined
in new ways --the YoBowl finish slapped onto the
"End-Bound" wrap slapped onto the "double" turn
of common dbl.bwl., and so on.

Likely some of the knots will be faster to tie,
and others which might sell by virtue of surer
security (or more sure easy untying, where use
is of well-monitored and short-lived knot : e.g.,
on a tow line for impromptu momentary use)
might take more careful working.  #1010 can
be put in with haste; more complex knots usually
not so much, but if tying in for some period of
use, the tying time is a minor concern.

--dl*
====

zoranz

ZoranZ, can you please provide comment on the geometry of these Sheet Bends please.
When i tie Bowline, i do it always on the same way. My principle is: it is better to know one way well, then to use various ways and don't be sure if you did tie the knot without mistake. Xarax would said: you can not learn old dog new tricks. And I do not feel any benefit / need for different variants. Because of this I prefer this presentation (let's call: "basic"). If it were me to decide, I would certainly call this basic view as "front". But my arguments have no weight and depth like Dan's, Xarax'x, Luca's, roo's etc. Therefore, this is only one unimportant opinion of "amateur".
On the other hand, if I talk about the Sheet Bend - in my head I have only one image (considered as standard), which for me is the basic view. And I should like to call it "front". But that "front view" is in complete contrast to front view of the bowline. Because of these contradictions I give up further explanation.
For me, the "front" means: The basic view that I have when I start to tie the knot.
Well, according to my vision, I always like to watch bowline in "vertical" position. And the bend in "horizontal".
Further, it is my opinion that the Sheet Bend needs only one diagram.
Because of detailed illustrations - it is well to display both views. I would both images linked in a way to get a second look by simply rotating the bend in the area of ​​180 degrees.
Sorry, English is not my native language and therefore it is not very clear what "the poet wanted to say." But anyway I'm honored that Mark asked me for assistance and I consider it is my obligation at least to try something. Maybe anything will be usefull :)
Regards, ZZ

xarax

it is my opinion that the Sheet Bend needs only one diagram.

I agree. And I would be ready to denote THIS side as the "front" side of the "corresponding" bowline. IFF the bowlines was corresponding to the Sheet bend - but it does NOT ! There is no relation, other than superficial, skin-deep, and Ashley-parroting oriented, between the bowline and the Sheet bend, but I will not repeat my reasoning here, because there are just some things just some people can not just learn / understand.

P.S. See the attached picture, for the "front" view of the genuine Sheet-bend bowline.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 08:22:14 PM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

xarax

the complete knot is in need  of denotation of parts --and maybe more often importantly, than is the inchoate knot.

I was talking about the complete knot.
   In the case of an eyeknot, but also in the case of the one link of a bend, we have three parts ;
1. The Standing End. This is the part of the line OUTSIDE the nub, from the one side. Also, this is the only part of the knot which is loaded by 100% of the load.
2. The !@#$%^&*()_+
3. The Tail End. This is the part of the line OUTSIDE the nub, from the other side. Also, this is the only part of the knot which is loaded by 0% of the load.

Now, one can denote the 2 nd part as he wishes - for the time being, I call it "Standing Part", but we can well find another term, and keep the term "Standing Part" to denote a part of the knot during its tying stage ( a part of the inchoate knot ), the other part being the "Working Part".

P.S. For yet another pair of terms, read :
   http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4757.0
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 08:47:58 PM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

agent_smith

Hi Dan,

my term
"anti-bowline" is derived from "anti-cyclone", which pertains
to orientation/direction of like things --opposite only
in this quality but not in basic nature, or somehow one
the undoing of the other.

This is the kind of reply I am looking for - some sound reasoning to give authority to a descriptive term.

So this is your basis for preferring the term 'anti'?

Is there wide-spread consensus for the use of the term 'Anti Bowline' to describe the so-called 'Eskimo/Kalmyk  Bowline' structure? (I have trouble with the term eskimo).

That is, are you in preference for use of the term 'Anti' to describe any Bowline that has a collar-capstan structure that performs a manoeuver around an 'eye leg' instead of the SPart?

Could you also label each of the parts in the Bowline #1010 image?

Can you confirm the Bowline Vs Anti-Bowline definition image?

Can you describe the Alan Lee Eye Knot - how it fits within your definition?

Many questions.... :)

EDIT: With Luca's help - I have added what I think is one of the worst examples of photography and topological layout I have ever seen. And Dan Lehman's replies are all but Greek to me. In tying both knots depicted - it seems to contradict the definition of 'Anti' Bowline - but like I said... its all Greek to me :)
Here is a response to a question:

Dan, which one is the Myrtle, and which one is the Anti-Bowline?

The left one, if properly oriented/dressed, is an anti-bowline (my term);
you show it in odd (dis)array, instead of with the *bowline*-characterizing
(and here "bowline" in inclusive of "anti-") nipping loop of the S.Part.  The
right one is easier to see, it being in better form.

ORRRRrrr, just referring to your righthand image, loading the right end
makes an anti-bowline, loading the left end a bowline (Myrtle).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 02:16:43 AM by agent_smith »

Luca

Hi Mark,

(If still it is worth!)Here are some references about the "Myrtle" and Anti Bowline knots:

http://asiteaboutnothing.net/cr_constrictor.html#myrtle

http://asiteaboutnothing.net/cr_constrictor.html#psychedelic-bowlines

http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=357.msg2731#msg2731

http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=1481.msg10359#msg10359

http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=5079.msg33473#msg33473

Bye!

Luca

In his book "Symmetric Bends",Roger E. Miles remarks that ABoK #1445(called by him "a Lesser Carrick bend"),despite appearances,is,in itself,a symmetric knot,but that has no hope of being symmetrically loaded,unless it is loaded by all the four ends.
It reports also that Harry Asher called this bend "Boobash"(ie Ashley's boob)in that the bend would not be so worst as described by Ashley.

Dan_Lehman

It reports also that Harry Asher called this bend "Boobash"(ie Ashley's boob)
in that the bend would not be so worst as described by Ashley.
And I took the contrary position : "ash" can be expanded
to "Asher" sooner in ascending lexicographical order than
to "Asley", and IMO Asher's championing this end-2-end
knot was wrong.  I had it tested in 1/4-inch 3-strand nylon
rope, and the tester reported that it kept rolling, so he gave
up trying to break it.
.:.  AsheR is the boob!

--dl*
====

Dan_Lehman

Is there wide-spread consensus for the use of the term 'Anti Bowline
 to describe the so-called 'Eskimo/Kalmyk  Bowline' structure?
Goodness, no.  That term is uttered in the IGKT forum,
but I don't know if it occurs elsewhere, and it's hardly
a term that is self-explanatory.

The biggest issue I have with it --and I'm happy to use
it here, in lieu of a better-conceived term-- is that I also
want "bowline" to stand for the entire set, to make sense
in "Is this a *bowline*?" --which should include, IMO,
the so-called "anti-bowlines".  I think that the awkwardness
of my terminology is impediment enough for  the journey
into common parlance.

Maybe we can find a replacement, with TWO terms, to divide
the *bowline* set per this re-entry (which, itself, on some
standing-back overview of what we might amass as members,
seem inadequate to the task of good nominal sub-setting),
based on the fact that the return of a #1010 bowline
makes an overhand (just after tuck through the turNip)
and going the other way does NOT knot (more quickly lending
the construction to TIB knots).

At this stage, we might ask Is there a good reason to use some
term of differentiation on just this (small?) aspect?
  (I might
have just fancied noting the distinction, lacking circumspection
to judge its importance in the grand scheme of things.  E.g.,
one can form a very-much-like-the-#1010-bowline TIB,
and the Eskimo bowline well resists opening the central nipping
loop into a helix.

Note that instead of poking the tail through a formed turNip
one can press and turn the S.Part against the tail and form
the nipping loop around the tail.

--dl*
====