Author Topic: Knot display boxes  (Read 6161 times)

drjbrennan

• Exp. Member
Knot display boxes
« on: November 13, 2004, 03:07:07 AM »
I am quite new to knotting, but have already noticed that a lot of the display or shadow boxes of knots on sale on the internet and in shops have wrongly labelled knots.
Have other members noticed this?
Do the makers simply stick the plates on at random?

If I knew how to attach a graphic to this post I'd show you one.
IGKT Member

knot_tyer

Re: Knot display boxes
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 03:31:21 AM »
hello drjbrennan......there are a lot of these knot boards
on eBay.....probably mass produced.....some are actually
fairly nice!....knot names around the world can be very
confusing!!....i try to keep a close eye on eBay: knots
....i've found some very interesting items there!!..
Dan-Alaska
http://knotical-arts.com/ebay.html

knot_tyer

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 07:46:52 AM »
...there are knot boards and there
are knot boards!...Dan-Alaska

http://www.artmarketing.com/gallery/nauticalframes/index.html
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 07:48:27 AM by knot_tyer »

KnotNow!

• IGKT-PAB PAST PRESIDENT
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 08:51:41 PM »
I reread my earlier post and was embarrased, so I removed it.  I know many very talented knotters who make lovely knot boards.  I offer my appologies to all who read my earlier remarks.  I think that because there are some knot boards and display tables made just for sale in "boaty" shops and waterfront gift stores that these are not representative of the real thing.  Some of the labels are very funny.  Some of the selected knots are even funnier.  Yes, I visited the picture frame web site and invited the maker to join IGKT-PAB (which also requires IGKT membership).  He'll be one of us soon!  Now, if you took one of thoes frames and made a lovely series of knots.... that would be a knot board deserving of engraved sterling name tags! :D
ROY S. CHAPMAN, IGKT-PAB BOARD.

Fairlead

• IGKT Member since 1984 - IGKT Librarian
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2004, 11:51:35 PM »
At one of the Solent Branch meetings a couple of years ago, someone brought along a Portuguese knot board - A really nice piece of work it was too.  He wanted us to name the knots as he did not speak Portuguese.  Well there were a couple that beat us but the funniest thing was the 'Back Splice' - If the label had been translated literally from Portuguese to English it would have read "Pigs Arse" - No wonder we get so many arguements over the names of knots!!

KnotNow!

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 07:45:02 PM »
Dear Fairlead,  I really needed that today. ;)  This may not be a week with too many laughs so it is good to start out with one. ;D  Here in the Pacific Northwest the Loggers have their own names for all the knots and splices they use.  There is about 1% comonality (well, maybe 2%).  All the skill comes from hand to hand, no printed material, no cross pollenazation from other trades (you might think they would walk down the hill and talk with the fishermen, but no).  One example is the single strand wire rope grommet, laid up to be 6 strand without a core and not tucked at all.  Here it is a "Molly".  The Flemish Eye is a Molly Hogan.  The Prusik Knot is a "Monkey's Fist".  These names have been used for perhaps a hundred years, when the first logging started in the foothills around Puget Sound.

Brian Grimley

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 11:26:48 PM »
PABPRES,
Thank you for the names used by the loggers of the Pacific Northwest.  If you have any other examples, be assured that you have an applauding audience of at least one on standby.  :)

I think your noting the names of knots used by a well-defined group of people is very valuable. There seems to be two approaches to a knot name. One approach is to proscribe what some would call a proper or correct name to that knot. The other is to try to answer the who, what, where and when of that knot and its names.

To me, the second approach seems to contain so much more information than the first. That information may be simple facts, or perhaps stories, myths, legends and even history. Occasionally, people ask for "patter" for presenting or teaching knots. The stories behind knot names can be a great resource.

Brian Grimley

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 02:35:50 PM »
PABPRES,
Applause and thanks! I look forward to reading your article when it appears in KM.

KnotNow!

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 08:01:56 AM »
Getting closer to the article.  Just finished a great book by William Ulim, a PNW logger published under a "vanity press".  I can smell the cedar chips and am full of sawdust.  (well that is what my wife says.).   the book is titled "Loggers and other Liars" and the subscript says.... " a Fairy tale begins "once upon a time" and a logger's story begins "This ain't no bull"  I have been holding my sides and choking back tears as Wlm takes me into the woods and "yards" me back.  So I am very close to an article for KM and/or KN. ;D

SKellyog

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 03:15:49 AM »
I recently came by a display box, and at a good price.  There are 9 examples, of which 3 are ocean plait variants. On the top row is a knot titled - Two hearts that beat as one - it is a sheepshank variant, but not the one described by Budworth in 'The Ultimate Encylocepedia of Knots and Ropework'.  Budworth describes a sheepshank made more secure with an extra marlinspike turn. but I have a hunch this may be even more secure.  If anyone has a link to the displays being sold on ebay, do send along the link.

anything