Author Topic: An exploding hitch  (Read 15484 times)

Luca

An exploding hitch
« on: June 30, 2013, 12:30:22 AM »
OK, trying to fiddle with some kind of back-handed hitch, instead I found  in my hands this exploding hitch: to be set up properly it needs some pull here and there among the standing part and the tail (so one have to be careful which leg of the slip must be pulled ..), but in the end seems to be quite stable and unjamming(tested in an almost serious way with a rope  about 9 mm around a handle of round section about 4cm in diameter). Please have comprehension of my withdrawal symptoms from "presentation of knots" ,and have mercy and patience for my impossibility to post photos, as someone occasionally likes  point out ..

Thanks and bye!

Luca

Re: An exploding hitch
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 02:22:55 AM »
The diagram is correct with regard to the pattern:a defect of this knot is, that if no well set and tightened, pulling through the standing part, the standing part tends to widen the loop that it  that passes through , but if you then pull the leg of the final slip adjacent  to this loop, then it should not move that much by pulling on the standing part(in each case,as all the exploding hitches on the model of the Highwayman's hitch,is not a knot to which to entrust the safety of a something critical!).

Thank you,and bye!

Ruby

• Exp. Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 05:56:37 AM »
test

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 06:27:18 AM »

X1

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 11:06:22 AM »
   I do not understand why one has to tie this knot in the first place ! Look at this ! The standing end is going to ignite the "exploding" segment before the pull of the trigger ! 

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 04:42:54 PM »
   I do not understand why one has to tie this knot in the first place !
The standing end is going to ignite the "exploding" segment before the pull of the trigger !

???
The knot is stable until released, unlike the popularized
highwayman's hitch --noting that there is that issue
of when the nip is sufficient upon the slip-tuck/toggle
(one might prefer to locate the nipping opposite the
load point for quicker/surer tension reaching this point;
alternatively, there are ways to toggle the ultimate
slip-tuck to prevent the drawing out of its legs).

When to use this?
If one were single-handedly (i.e., sans ground crew)
lowering some several items to the ground,
the line  could be freed from the object and
returned upwards for continued lowering
(w/o say having to pull through an entire
length-of-lowering part of line that slipped
a hitch that wasn't a "slip-free" hitch).
(An alternative method could use a stout line
for the lowering, load bearing, and a thin line
to a toggle for release.)

--dl*
====

Luca

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 05:13:13 PM »
Hi X1,and thank you!

The fact is that, during one of my "excursions outside zone" with my friends,over there, near Tucson, I was riding an appaloosa,who had a temper a little restless: a horse accustomed to pull here and there, always agitated, even when it was left tied to a pole: so it happened that, after tying the horse,diligently following the instructions that my grandfather  was giving while he taught me the job when I was at a young age ( http://daveroot.atspace.cc/knots/Knots_Hitches.htm#HighwaymansHitch ), when I and my friends came out of the bank, the others already rode away in the wind, while I instead I took a bullet in the bottom,and I was captured by the sheriff: this was a little mishap, but it did not last very long ( http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4418.msg27862#msg27862 ).When I came back from my friends, then I tried this other knot ( http://daveroot.atspace.cc/knots/Knots_Hitches.htm#TumbleHitch ): it looked great, but the fact is that, as I finished setting it and tighten it properly, my friends already came out of the bank, and they would not give me my share, because they said that I had not participated. Then I tried this: http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=1962.msg13687#msg13687 a knot better than that of my grandfather, but, for some reason, when I tried it, surfaced up memories of when the sheriff captured me. Then I tried the knot that I show above: before doing the robbery,I runned a waggoner's hitch with double pulley using this knot as the first hitch, and after I tied the end of the rope to the saddle of my horse,and  I did pull up to risk for it being come a heart attack:It is true, it may seem that the trigger shots, but in reality actually holds(the flaw lies in the fact that you have to also pull from the tail a bit as if it were a binding knot, but once the standing part is well wrapped the knot does not move anymore (but with regard to any critical situations:this is only an exploding a hitch! WARNING!Do not use this knot in situations where you feel that something vital is at stake for you!)) .

Bye!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 05:18:41 PM by Luca »

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 05:49:12 PM »
.When I came back from my friends, then I tried this other knot ( http://daveroot.atspace.cc/knots/Knots_Hitches.htm#TumbleHitch ):
That link gets the Tumble Hitch wrong.

Here's the real Tumble Hitch:
http://notableknotindex.webs.com/tumblehitch.html
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

X1

• Inactive
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 09:59:31 PM »
   The knot is stable until released
  The knot can become stable only as a veeery loose hitch, or as a hitch tied around a pole of a veeery small diameter !  In those cases, the "deflexion point" of the Standing Part would not be close enough to the surface of the pole, to allow it to pull the first leg of the slipped tail out of its lock. The looser the hitch, or the smaller the diameter of the pole, the more stable the knot would become.
   There is nothing wrong with the "lock" itself : it is the same old two opposing bights arrangement, a most efficient locking mechanism - used in the TackleClamp hitches, presented at (1)(2), or in the Hugo bend, presented at (3), for example. The problem lies in the ability of even a veery light load, coming from the Standing end, to pull the tail bight out of this lock. Of course, if the two legs of this bight are sufficiently long, the hitch would remain wrapped around the pole, even if ( in fact, just because...) it will now become a veeery loose hitch ! I would nt leave my horse alone, with such a loosened hitch, because this locking mechanism depends upon the two opposed bights remaining tensioned at all times - so, when the first round turn will become loose, the second round turn would also loosen, and the locking power of the two opposing bights would diminish. Also, on a veery loose hitch, and if the rope is not stif enough, the "under" bight can be pulled and pass underneath the "over" one, carrying the whole tail bight along with it.
   Now, this will happen in the case of an appaloosa horse, with a restless temper. I am sure that the knot will remain "stable", with a less strong horse - a seahorse, for example ?  :)

1.  http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4035.msg24106#msg24106
2.  http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4035.msg24724#msg24724
3.  http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4090.msg24518#msg24518
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 10:02:42 PM by X1 »

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 10:43:29 PM »
Hey Luca, I just realized that what you have in your first post is the Tumble Hitch, but shown from the reverse side.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 10:44:04 PM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

X1

• Inactive
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 11:21:05 PM »
   If we do not need to tie an exploding "snug", tight hitch, and we would be satisfied even with a loosened hitch, we can use one of the many possible slipped "loose" hitches / nooses. Some of them, the most convenient and easy to tie and to untie, can be released under tension, in one stage, without leaving any knot still tied on the Standing Part. See two examples, at the attached pictures.

Luca

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 12:47:14 AM »
Hi roo,

Hey Luca, I just realized that what you have in your first post is the Tumble Hitch, but shown from the reverse side.

You are very right...at least now I understand how really works this hitch.Thank you!(and I apologize with Dan Lehman and all the readers for the "false alarm"!)

Bye!

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 12:54:50 AM by Luca »

Ruby

• Exp. Member
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 01:34:10 AM »

Interesting

Seems the backside of the mirrored tumble hitch

Luca

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 03:54:53 AM »
Hi X1,

As you noted, these hitches on the model of "Highwayman's",have limits with regard to their reliability. OK, this is true, but then what is it that makes this type knots so fascinating? For me, it is not only the fact that they explode without leaving a trace of them around the handle, but it is also the fact that they can be tied in any case in the bight even in the case that the handle is closed such as  a ring.

Bye!

X1

• Inactive
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 08:35:59 AM »
...they can be tied in any case in the bight even in the case that the handle is a ring.

Yes, indeed, that is a great advantage ! However, in my mind there are two, at least, kinds of hitches : the "snug", "tight" hitches, which remain in close contact on the surface of the pole or ring at all times, and the "loose" hitches / nooses, which are not. Your "exploding" hitch starts as a "snug" hitch, and it becomes stable only after it consumes a part of the locked tail bight, becomes very loose, and reaches a new equilibrium as a "loose" hitch. A Strange Case of Mister Hyde and Doctor Jekyll s hitch !  :)  What is the knot tyer supposed to do ? Tie it on the surface of the pole, as a snug hitch, tighten it there, so that the two opposing bights lock the tail bight, and then pull the standing end until it reaches a new equilibrium, as a loose hitch ? Will he be able to focus his mind on his job ( and not be caught by the serif...)  while the two round turns will start becoming loose, the one after the other, and the locked tail bight will run the danger to slip through the now un-tensioned opposing bights, and let the appaloosa horse free ? Stand and Deliver an "exploding" snug hitch, or an "exploding" loose hitch, but nothing in between !  :)
   This second, thin line release mechanism dL describes, is an amusing figment of his Far West imagination... I believe that one can always release the hitch before he rides the horse - the sight of a cowboy pulling a line that will pull a trigger that will release a knot ( or fire a gun ), while he is on the back of his horse, would probably make the serif to die from excessive laughing !
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 08:56:15 AM by X1 »

anything