Author Topic: Pendant Knot  (Read 9058 times)

Catmar

Pendant Knot
« on: June 16, 2013, 02:51:54 PM »
Hello Everyone!

This is the knot I use for keeping pendant necklaces from flipping while being worn. It's sort of a modified larks head knot. Does anyone know its name? Or did I invent it? I can't remember.

Diagrams below:

Thank you,

Cathy from Grimsby Canada

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
Re: Pendant Knot
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 03:49:34 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Cathy.  The knot you show is a variant of the Slingstone Hitch in the Ashley Book of Knots (ABOK) #272 - the slight difference is in the way the ends are led back. There is a drawing and quote from Ashley on this website http://www.e-reading-lib.org/chapter.php/95356/141/Proulx_-_The_Shipping_News.html.

Barry

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 04:52:36 PM »
Hello Everyone!

This is the knot I use for keeping pendant necklaces from flipping while being worn. It's sort of a modified larks head knot. Does anyone know its name? Or did I invent it? I can't remember.

See here:
http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=1554.msg10825#msg10825
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

X1

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 06:58:53 PM »
   If you can stand its asymmetry, you can use the "locked Cow hitch" tight hitch - which remains tightly wrapped around the object, even if the standing end is not loaded any more. ( In a sense, it is an improved Pedigree Cow hitch (1)(2) or ABoK#1683 - the difference may seem minor, but, functionally, it is very significant.)

1)  http://www.marinews.com/bait-presentation/pedigree-cow-hitch/478/
2)  http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=282.0
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 07:00:12 PM by X1 »

kd8eeh

• Exp. Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 08:02:29 PM »
And if you can't stand the asymetry, you can use a constrictor (or perhaps a glumpir) and then tie a wall knot above it so that the pendant will lay flat.

X1

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 12:39:27 AM »
   Words + Pictures, kd8eeh, words + pictures ! What is this "wall knot" ? Can any knot tied "over" an other, force the knot tied "under" it to lay flat, if it was nt laying flat already ?

KnotMe

• The Dao of Silk
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 06:47:04 AM »
It's sort of a modified larks head knot. Does anyone know its name? Or did I invent it? I can't remember.
Hey, Cathy.   It looks like Dan was tying this at least 3 years ago, so while you may have invented it independently, you probably don't have first dibs.  That said, "lark's head/cow hitch variant", "cat's paw knot variant", "slingstone hitch variant", "twinned overhand hitch" have no ring to them.

I propose we call it The Cat's Head Hitch/Knot until someone finds a formal historically documented name.  Whaddayathink?   :D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 06:49:30 AM by KnotMe »

X1

• Inactive
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 01:10:50 PM »
   It does not solve the " TIB question ", as mentioned in the cited article - and, frankly, I do not believe it solves any other question...
   I think that if we want a symmetric TIB hitch around the hoop of a ring, there is no better alternative than the simple cat s paw. The form AND the mechanism of the cat s paw depends upon the separation of the standing ends and/or the radius of the ring. See the attached pictures, for a "wide" cat s paw hitch ( tied around a rope-made ring - because the cat s paw can be tied -with the end- on the tip of a bight, too.)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 05:41:11 PM by X1 »

James Petersen

• Exp. Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 05:28:12 PM »
I played with this knot a while back -- I guess it is the slingstone hitch, but I interested in its ability to lock when tightened around cylindrical objects or bundles, somewhat like a constrictor or X1's (IIRC) double cow hitch. Is this ability to lock part of why you have been using it with pendants? When tightened by alternate pulling on one end at a time and it gives mechanical  advantage that the constrictor does not.