Author Topic: Which knots to know?  (Read 51073 times)

X1

• Inactive
Re: Which knots to know?
« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2013, 08:25:49 PM »
The Gnat hitch is an ideal knot for me, it's so easy to tie.
  Ideal ?  :) :) :)  It is not worse, as a knot, than the so-called "Sailor s hitch", that is for sure - but that was not so difficult to happen !  :) 
  If you like a yet simpler and easier to tie hitch, look at the attached picture.

X1

• Inactive
« Reply #91 on: June 18, 2013, 08:34:15 PM »
As people have probably figured out by now, Mr. X's buntline replacement tends to jam, and doesn't lend itself to slipped release as readily and freely as the Slipped Buntline family.
If you're looking for a non-slipped hitch for tie-downs,...
   [The "Buntline extinguisher"] does not jam more than the Buntline - I have tested it many times on many materials, and, as far as my experience allows, I know. I have never compared it with the Slipped Buntline, which is a more complex knot, because I always compare apples to apples.

[The "Buntline extinguisher" does not jam more than the original Buntline. Personally, I would nt use a slipped Buntline, if the grip the un-slipped Buntline is able to offer would seem inadequate... I would rather prefer to add one or more round turns, or tie a proper slide-and-grip lockable hitch. For the same reason, I would nt tie a slipped "Buntline extinguisher", as I whimsically call it for the time being. I believe it offers a better grip than the original Buntline, indeed, and - what is very important too - a more controlled grip : one can increase a little bit the amount of force by which he pulls the returning line, so the hitch will hold a little bit more. It may happen that you use a rope for the same time, and you do not know how slippery it is in advance, and if a hitch tied with it would hold or not - it is important to be able to gradually increase the amount of force you use to make it hold, as much as you want it to hold.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 04:56:16 AM by X1 »

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #92 on: June 18, 2013, 08:37:24 PM »
  If you like a yet simpler and easier to tie hitch, look at the attached picture.
It jams.  Did you test this before posting?
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #93 on: June 18, 2013, 08:42:37 PM »
As people have probably figured out by now, Mr. X's buntline replacement tends to jam, and doesn't lend itself to slipped release as readily and freely as the Slipped Buntline Family.
   When one mister has written 2000+ posts and 170+ threads, and one other mister has not found even a single f...ONE good thing to say about ANY of them, what shouls we make out of it ?  :)  That one mister has a prooblem... :)
I thought you wanted me to evaluate your creations.  I've offered positive feedback to other knot inventions/discoveries by other people(*).  I'm sure if you keep trying and improve your testing criteria, you'll do better. 

Discovering good knots isn't easy by any means.

http://notableknotindex.webs.com/slippery8.html
http://notableknotindex.webs.com/tumblehitch.html
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 08:45:36 PM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

X1

• Inactive
« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2013, 08:49:45 PM »
It jams.  Did you test this before posting?
  It is the simplest "tight" hitch.
  http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4155.msg25243#msg25243;'

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 04:49:04 AM by X1 »

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2013, 09:05:48 PM »
I thought you wanted me to evaluate your creations. 
No, I do not ! Honest !  :)  What made you think that I do ?
You were complaining loudly about my alleged silence in response to your flood of knot submittals here:
http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4090.msg27736#msg27736

(well, at least before you [or a moderator, perhaps] deleted your posts, yet again)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 09:08:05 PM by roo »

Notable Knot Index

TMCD

« Reply #96 on: June 18, 2013, 11:59:17 PM »
ABOK 1852 could easily be placed on this list too, AKA the Backhand Hitch. It's got a lot of positives that could easily place it onto this list but it's simply an unknown knot outside of our knot community. It won't jamb and holds my 20-25lb river anchors beautifully when using 5/8inch nylon rope....great anchor hitch because it unties so easily yet is secure.

An argument could also be made that this list desperately needs to be expanded beyond just five simple knots because afterall, there's a GREAT chance a person may need to know a sixth knot for some special occasion. I would create a list of ten knots every outdoorsman/outsdoorswoman should know AND at least two fishing knots would have to be on the list if they were dropped off in a remote area to survive for any length of time. What good is a Constrictor, Bowline, Zeppelin Bend, and Butterfly Loop when it comes time to go fishing and feed your body?? You'll starve with those knots, now throw in some fishing knots which only work with fine lines and you'll eat every night.

knot4u

« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2013, 12:38:38 AM »
This thread proves this question is not fit for experienced knot tyers.  We find it difficult to construct a 5-knot list.  In my list, I need a stopper.  I would also like at least one knot that is specific to fishing.  I also want to add the Windsor because I own about 50 neckties and zero clip-on ties.  So, my total grows to 8 at a bare minimum.  Five is below the bare minimum.

However, I could live with only 5 knots.  Believe it or not, many people are functioning just fine in life by knowing only the Overhand (also known simply as "a knot" by novices) and the Granny knot to tie shoes.  If a novice were to intimately understand merely 5 knots from a list here, then the novice's life would be great improved.  In other words, moving from a list of 2 knots (Overhand and Granny) to a list of 5 well-contemplated knots is a tremendous improvement.

To realize instant improvement in life right now, I recommend that the novice starts by understanding the Trucker Hitch and variations thereof.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 01:37:00 AM by knot4u »

X1

• Inactive
« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2013, 12:41:28 AM »
ABOK 1852 could easily be placed on this list too, AKA the Backhand Hitch.
   TMCD, since you have mentioned the forgotten Backhanded hitch, could you, please, try the two hitches shown at the attached picture ? I had tied them as doubled/mirrored Blackwall hitches, and I think that they might be preferable from the Backhanded, but I have not much experience in such knots, so I can not tell. ( One could also try a combination, where the two legs pass in between the ring/tip of the bight and the "bridge" connecting the two sides, as in the Backhanded hitch shown at the third picture.)

TMCD

« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2013, 02:40:52 AM »
I'm not sure X, to me, the simplicity of the Backhanded Hitch and my familiarity with it probably bias my opinion towards ABOK 1852. I'm not sure those two knots would be secure around the ring of my anchors....I'll fiddle around with them and try to report back. I'm VERY busy right now as it's early summer and I'm a Paint Contractor by trade, phone's been ringing off the proverbial hook.

Knot4U, I went on a necktie knot learning binge about a year ago and learned at least six or seven variations of necktie knots. The Full Windsor gives the most symmetrical appearance and the Half Windsor is REALLY close in that regard as well. There's the Nicky Knot which is decent and several others I can't remember right off the top of my head that are also good choices...I DON'T like necktie knots that are not symmetrical.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:45:12 AM by TMCD »

knot4u

« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2013, 04:13:57 AM »
Knot4U, I went on a necktie knot learning binge about a year ago and learned at least six or seven variations of necktie knots.

Me too... I fiddled with about 20 from a website, but in real life, I'm tying either the Full Windsor or another small knot of which I forgot the name. Tying a necktie is an important man skill.

Festy

• Exp. Member
« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2013, 02:19:51 PM »
Guys,

Yesterday I had occasion to tie down a load of furniture for a 20 minute journey.
I used the Gnat for the anchor and 2 Span Loops to set up a Versatackle.
I actually needed to be careful not to overtighten as I felt I could have caused damage.
I tied off with a RT&2HH's although it probably wasn't necessary.
I left the load tied down overnight and this morning everything was still as tight as a drum and there wasn't the slightest trouble untying any of the knots.

Kudos to the Forum!  ;)

X1

• Inactive
« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2013, 03:20:42 PM »
  It was not - and, to my view, the Span loops were not really needed, because the simple slip overhand knots would have been just fine...but I will not return to the issue debated at the longest thread ever of this Forum !  :)
  The problem in practical knotting is not how to keep everything tightly tied together ! The problem is how to do this, in the most easy to remember, to tie, to inspect and to untie, efficient, clever, and economical regarding the consumption of the material way...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 03:22:16 PM by X1 »

knot4u

« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2013, 04:07:38 PM »
Guys,

Yesterday I had occasion to tie down a load of furniture for a 20 minute journey.
I used the Gnat for the anchor and 2 Span Loops to set up a Versatackle.
I actually needed to be careful not to overtighten as I felt I could have caused damage.
I left the load tied down overnight and this morning everything was still as tight as a drum and there wasn't the slightest trouble untying any of the knots.

Kudos to the Forum!  ;)

AWESOME!!! That made my day.

X1

• Inactive
« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2013, 05:45:12 PM »
That made my day.

...but destroyed the game of the thread. Festy has not used the knots of his own 5-slot selection...

- supposing that some higher power decreed that you would only be allowed to use 5 knots for the remainder of your life, which 5 would cover all contingencies, or if indeed 5 would be enough?

He had just utilized the knots it has happened to him to learn recently, and he runs the danger to believe that they are the "best" knots, or the only knots he has to learn...The ability to choose the most essential elements, and ignore the secondary ones, should only come at the very end of the necessarily steep learning curve, not right at the start ! If one becomes a "knot user" too early, he will probably never become a real knot tyer. Learn everything you can learn from the complex real first, then, and the only then, proceed to the simple abstract. That is the only way one can understand things, and not pass his life parooting others.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 05:46:29 PM by X1 »