Author Topic: Curious question  (Read 2045 times)

TMCD

Curious question
« on: June 22, 2013, 05:00:45 PM »
I've been reading knot books, learning various knots and simply tying knots on a daily basis now for several years at least. Last fall I learned the Eye Splice which is very practical for me as I'm a fisherman and aboard boats on a fairly consistent basis.

Two nights ago I had to cut a fifty foot piece of 1/2inch nylon rope in half because of a bad section in the last fifteen foot or so of rope. Instead of simply losing that rope to something else I learned how to tie a Short Splice and it turned out decent for my first time. I was proud of it to be honest.

How many of you tie eye splices and can splice ropes together? I guess I ask this because I feel like I should've learned this after a couple of years practicing and learning knots but it never occured to me to take the time and learn it. If you don't know how to do these splices, do yourself and favor and learn, you'll get some good satisfaction not only from the neatness of it but from the practicality standpoint.

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: Curious question
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 05:11:29 PM »
Hello TMCD.

Learning any knot(s) is a good thing as is learning, period!

I personally don't use laid rope for much anymore, but I do know how to splice the various ways. Sometimes I do use the laid rope to perform my own quick tests of some of the knots offered here in the Forum, just to investigate the action concerning the twists and if they impact the security or if I think it will influence the strength.

Continue your quest and learn/try the long splice as well. Done correctly it is satisfying and looks more professional, imo.
Sometimes the tying of knots doesn't even have to have a use, it can be therapeutic.  ;-)))

SS

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
Re: Curious question
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 09:17:20 PM »
Hi TMCD

If you have some fairly hard laid rope (esp vegetable fibre such as manila) try making grommets - you get 3 per length of rope and it is quite a satisfying thing to finish. I have used a small grommet (about 3" - 5" across) to join several ropes across a load the grommet being at the centre of a star formation. With a stick in the ground you have a game to keep kids (of all ages) occupied for hours!

Barry