Author Topic: Possible New Stopper Knot  (Read 4090 times)

75RR

Possible New Stopper Knot
« on: April 05, 2013, 04:18:45 AM »
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 12:41:58 AM by 75RR »

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
Re: Possible New Stopper Knot
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 10:51:37 AM »
The knot in the drawing is very similar to a number of hook to line fishing knots - have a look at http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php for some examples. These are tied in very thin slippery line and depend on this low friction to draw up properly. However tied in cordage lead to very bulky knots such as you describe.  I don't think there is an exact match in fishing knots I know but there are many variations.

Barry

kd8eeh

• Exp. Member
Re: Possible New Stopper Knot
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 02:23:36 AM »
It appears to me this knot is really little more than a monkey fist with uneven numbers of rings in each wrap, so that it draws up into a spheroid thing like most monkey fists.  The only difference is that for ease of tying, you make the middle set of wrappings going the opposite direction.  I have become very busy with schoolwork,  but it would be interesting to see if that structure can be generalized to form a "simple" monkey's fist (a tenative name for such a knot) that may be easier to tie quickly in hand.  University classes end in a few weeks, so then i should be able to see what else you have found.  This appears to be a very viable large stopper knot.