Author Topic: What difference between them?  (Read 1995 times)

vladimir3722

What difference between them?
« on: January 15, 2013, 03:35:35 PM »
Hello!

I don't understand difference between the words UNDERHAND and OVERHAND in the names of UNDERHAND ROUND-TURN HITCHING (#3509) and OVERHAND ROUND-TURN HITCHING (#3510) in ABOK.

Any comments?
Vladimir

Luca

Re: What difference between them?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 11:02:01 PM »
Hi vladimir3722, 

I too have doubts about this(for other suggestions: http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=581.0 / http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4208.0 ),
When we run a standard Bowline with the "Rabbit method", we start making a turn in the rope. Taking into account a single point of view from which is made this turn(our point of view:our hands in front of us, and the rope that us hold in our hands in front of us),we can make this initial single turn by four ways(regardless if we keep the standing part in our left hand and the running part in our right hand, or vice versa):1)passing the running part over the standing part in a clockwise direction,2)passing over in anticlockwise direction,3) passing under in clockwise,4)passing under in anticlockwise.Wanting to finish the standard Bowline how it should be done, then we have to pass and cross the end of the rope in the right way consequentially at how to start for each of the four cases:at this point we will realize that of course you will not have made ​​four different knots, but that we will have in our hands  a pair of two identical knots, and another pair of two knots that are identical to each other,and that are a mirror version of the other two:all four knot will be the same knot, i.e. four standard Bowlines.
Now: run,say,four identical Half hitches around a pole:mantaining the"point of wiew by this start", i.e. four identical Half hitches for those four  knots, continue to finish each of these knots with the mentioned four different directions of the  turns(or round turns)around the pole(none of these knots  will be identical / symmetrical, at this point):only two of the combinations will be good to make the knot safer: one,with respect to te initial Half hitch will be the Overhand turn?,and the other,will be the Underhand?

Bye!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 11:08:27 PM by Luca »

vladimir3722

Vladimir

anything