Author Topic: Whaler s knot and Whaler s stopper.  (Read 7751 times)

xarax

Whaler s knot and Whaler s stopper.
« on: February 21, 2014, 05:27:09 PM »
   We do not name each and every whale we meet in the ocean - probably for not any other reason else than the most obvious one : we do not have as many names - and even if we had, we couldn t remember them all. We do not name each and every knot we meet : we deserve that privilege for the ones we get involved, and become sentimentally entangled with.
   I was thinking of the hooked and blooded Fisherman s knot tied by Mr Lehman (1), which, as one can see, can be considered as "three knots in a row", arranged along the axis of loading, the one after the other. It is but a small step to think of simple ways to enhance even this knot, in the case the monster Dyneema manage to slip it. The most simple thing is to embrace the hooked and blooded ex-tails in the middle of the compound knot evenmore, so to make this middle knotted structure even more convoluted. The greater, perhaps, advantage of this "three in a row" arrangement, is that any increment of the volume - and, subsequently, of the cross section - of any one of them does not increase the volume of the others. In the middle of the compound whole knot, there is still some empty space that can be filled with material ( because the middle knotted structure is still slimmer than the end ones ), without altering the cross section of the knot as a whole.
   The second thing that was concerning me was that the hooked and blooded Fisherman s knot is not side-symmetric, and so it can not be inspected very easily.
   The moment I was trying to envision how to entangle the ex-tails of the parent Fisherman s knot more within the middle knotted structure, two things happened, at once : First, I realized that, if I make each link of this knotted structure, (which now is just two embracing each other bights, two hooked hooks ) just a little more convoluted, each link will become as convoluted as the overhand knot - or, it will become an overhand knot !
   And second, envisioning was helped by listening:) :) I started listening the musical sounds the giant bronze statue of Alexandro emits, in the blowing wind, as the strings of the Aeolian guitar in its one hand are vibrating.

My colleagues want to erect a giant bronze statue of me, holding a guitar in one hand and the knot in the other.

In other words, I imagined the middle knotted structure as another pair of stoppers, and the whole knot as one Fisherman s knot, each link been composed of two twin stoppers, i.e, not three knotted structures in a raw any more, but four in a raw ! Of course, the resulting monster ex-Fisherman s knot cannot be longer, or bulkier, than it would be, if each of those four knotted structures are not bigger or different than a single overhand knot.
  So, four overhand knots in a row, in two pairs ,= two twin overhand knot stoppers, sliding / interpenetrating through each other. Even if the corresponding sliding / inter-penetrating end-to-end knot is proved to be an over-kill ( which, most probably, is - after all, no monster material is sooo monstrous, to allow only that monstrous end-to-end knot to survive, I suppose...), the individual stopper of each link, itself made of two overhand knot stoppers sliding / interpenetrating through each other, is very interesting and good looking, IMHO. Although it is a 10-crossings knot, like Alexandro s stopper, it is conceptually simple, and it can be learned, remembered, tied and inspected very easily. In the attached pictures I show it in a loose form - resembling one clef of the notes Alexandro s statue holds in his hand along with the knot, perhaps ?   
   Those twin overhand knots stoppers are now different animals from the "parent" Fisherman s knot single overhand knots - as now the mammals are different animals from the fishes - so I had named this bend Whaler s knot - and I bet that Ashley s, Moby Dick s and captain s Ahab s souls would approve that baptism !  :)  We have spotted another creature swimming around KnotOcean...

1. http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4792.0
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 06:00:13 PM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

xarax

Re: Whaler s knot and Whaler s stopper.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 05:28:24 PM »
This is not a knot.

xarax

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 05:38:20 PM »
   The beauty of this stopper ( which is not based on multiple twists of both lines around each other, but on multiple U-turns of each line around the other, an altogether different, and supposedly more secure, mechanism ) is not easily appreciated by people who may see it, but do bother to tie and try it - as it often happens with the knots presented in this Forum. ( I wonder if "knot tyers" should only be understood as "own-knot tyers - but knot anybody else s ! :)
  The two overhand knots that compose the Whaler s stopper are connected by three rope segments, as the interested reader can easily see in the tying diagram and in the pictures of the loose knot : 1, by the two inter-penetrating Standing Parts, on which the two halves slide as they approach each other. The material of those Standing Parts, as we pull the Standing Ends, is transported from the inner to the outer side of the nub. 2, by an S-shaped segment about 5 rope diameters long. The reasonable thing one would expect is that, to reach its final length, the initial much longer S-shaped segment that was connecting the two overhand knots right for their initial dressing, should have been swallowed and consumed by the two overhand knots themselves.
   Indeed, it is so - but with an interesting twist. The swallowing and consumption of the S-shaped segment finishes well before the two halves kiss each other. In other words, the S-shaped segment reaches its final, minimum length of about 5 rope diameters, well before the overhand knots contact each other.     
   During the last stage of the sliding, while the two halves of the Whaler s stopper are approaching each other, the overhand knots themselves that compose them do have to change at all : they do not have to swallow any more material, in order to consume the remaining slack of the S-shaped umbilical cord that connects them. Each one of them can be "locked" in its final, compact shape, and it can remain exactly as tensioned as it was well before the final mutual approach and contact, without consuming anything more - and yet the S-Shaped segment does not remain slack, but becomes as tensioned as any other segment within the stopper s nub. This means that we can tighten the two overhand knots when they are still separated, and then we can just pull their Standing Ends, and watch the two halves slide on the Standing Parts, approach, contact and squeeze each other, without consuming any more material.
   How does this miracle happen ? How can the S-shaped segment retain the minimum length it had well before the final approach, and yet, in the final compact stopper, be as tensioned as the other segments of the knot s nub ?
  The answer is simple, a matter of simple geometry, but one has to watch this closely, and in slow motion  :), to appreciate its beauty and enjoy it : The S-shaped umbilical chord is not shortened any more, but it is rotated around a perpendicular axis, and it is partially winded around the rims of the overhand knots - and by those two transformations, it can remain tensioned, without having to change in length. That means, the overhand knots do not have to tension it more - it is self-tensioned by its middle part been rotated around itself, and its end parts been rotated around the rims of the overhand knots.
   I have learned to pull and tension the two overhand knots as much as I can, by grabbing and pulling them against each other by two or three fingers placed on their rims, while their bellies are about 4 diameters apart - and then just pull the Standing Ends, and watch the stopper close itself, while the already tight overhand knots slide on the Standing parts, make the S-shaped segment rotate, and finally squeeze it from both sides.
   ( If that monster stopper does not hold when tied on Dyneema, I think I will have to buy some glue... :))
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 05:41:44 PM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

xarax

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 03:46:58 PM »
   Three more pictures of the Whaler s stopper, in the stage where the overhand knots are already tightened and compact, but their bellies are still at a distance of about 6 rope diameters apart. From that stage, although those two Siamese overhand knots will not consume any more portion of the S-shaped segment that connects them, they will slide on their interpenetrating Standing Parts, they will converge towards the core of the nub, and they will start squeezing the S-shaped segment from both sides - while, at the same time, this S-shaped segment will adapt to its changing environment in an interesting way : its middle part will rotate around itself, and its end parts will rotate around the rims of the two overhand knots. At the very end of the sliding of the two "halves", the S-Shaped will settle in the core of the knot s nub, and there it will be tensioned almost as much as the other segments of the knot, although no more portion of it will be swallowed and consumed by the two overhand knots any more.
This is not a knot.

Ruby

• Exp. Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 06:31:22 AM »
too complicated , seems  not easy to dress tight

but maybe you're right, all you need is a sudden pull with two ends, with two loose overhand knots

anything