Author Topic: Shoelaces  (Read 5355 times)

knot4u

Re: Shoelaces
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 07:50:55 PM »
I'm a huge proponent of developing muscle-memory; prestidigitation, Rubik's, golf-swing, juggling...and knots.  My shoe-tying has been automatic (wrong) for decades. Now I can't un-see those side-set grannies.  It's a surprisingly difficult subject to broach with people, even kids. Nobody wants be corrected on something so seemingly simple.

And yet they have to retie their shoes several times a day..

I have found most people reach the point of anger if you point it out to them.  My girlfriend got rather irritated the second time I tried to tell her.  Now, I just let her tie a Granny and deal with her retying more often than I.

James Petersen

• Exp. Member
Re: Shoelaces
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 02:25:16 AM »
I'm a huge proponent of developing muscle-memory; prestidigitation, Rubik's, golf-swing, juggling...and knots.  My shoe-tying has been automatic (wrong) for decades. Now I can't un-see those side-set grannies.  It's a surprisingly difficult subject to broach with people, even kids. Nobody wants be corrected on something so seemingly simple.

And yet they have to retie their shoes several times a day..

I have found most people reach the point of anger if you point it out to them.  My girlfriend got rather irritated the second time I tried to tell her.  Now, I just let her tie a Granny and deal with her retying more often than I.

That is the genius of the shoe salesman mentioned in the video linked to in reply #3. The speaker says that the salesman said he was tying "the weak form" of the knot. No emphasis of "wrong", and no disparaging name like "granny" for the knot. Put that way, I can see where one might be more receptive to correction. His use of "the weak form" also suggests two forms of the same knot, one weak and one strong, not one right and one wrong. No one wants to be "wrong".:)