Author Topic: quick release knots  (Read 6266 times)

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
Re: quick release knots
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 10:26:20 AM »
The question remains - what is the attachment point on the aircraft? Surely that's not going to be dependent on where it is! As far as the rope goes I strongly suggest that you decide on a type and diameter of rope you think suitable and which you have available (or are you hoping that a suitable rope will be around when you land?)

Barry

kd8eeh

• Exp. Member
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 04:10:05 AM »
On the aircraft, I would probably attach one to each main wheel strut.  As far as the rope, if that is the case I would probably wind up using some beat up manila or plastic fiber three strand twisted rope, about half an inch in diameter.

IPAtch

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 03:16:57 AM »
I am not sure I understand your situation well, but it reminded me of the issues addressed when mooring and unmooring a boat. The simplest way is to tie a line (on a boat, you don't say rope unless that is the actual name of the line, ie bell rope) to a cleat, pass it around the mooring (in your case anchor) and then tie it off, preferably to a different cleat. When you are ready to leave, even if the line is under great tension, you simply uncleat one end and pull the line back in.

Since your aircraft probably doesn't have cleats, you would probably need to alter this, but the principle would remain the same, keep both ends of the line tied within your reach, with a bight passed around or through the anchor. Tie quick releasing knots for both ends, and when you are ready to cast off, just free one side, and pull the line back by the other.  The possibility of the line catching on something is minimal because there should be no knots in it. And if it does get stuck, you can untie the other side to abandon the line. 

Hope this is applicable.  Even if this isn't, you might want to look up methods of mooring boats because the requirements sound similar. Also, in rock climbing, and canyon(eer)ing in particular, there are many creative ways of building a bomber anchor for the rappel down that can easily be retrieved from the bottom.