Author Topic: Eskimo Bowline on a Bight  (Read 25387 times)

X1

• Inactive
Re: Eskimo Bowline on a Bight
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 07:28:54 PM »
   Awesome ! I would never had suspected that the loop at the left first picture is TIB !  So, this made (my) life a little less easy !  :)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 07:31:47 PM by X1 »

IPAtch

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 01:34:59 AM »
Eric22: Very cool, I think using photos was the right idea, but i will take a stap at putting the transformation into words. From the eskimo bowline on a bight, capsize the turn, then bring the loop up (or down in the images you posted) over the standing part of the line, then draw tight. I will check it out tonight, at first glance it looks like a loop made from a marlinspike hitch on a bight

Alpineer: Thanks, and totally agree, I have spent many evenings at the Ballast Point tasting rooms.

Roo: About the flaw, I was not able to produce it (4 mil accessory cord) until I got out thicker rope (a 6 mil retired static climbing anchor) and it happened immediately. However, if I dressed then set the knot, I couldn't get it to feed. I tested and got almost the same results with a bowline on the bight, just like Luca said.

X1: I really like the Luca TIB Bowline, the loop seems to just appear out of a running cows hitch.

Thanks for everyone's input

Luca

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 01:38:27 AM »
Hi to all,

IPAtch,thanks you(late)for sharing this product of your ingenuity, which I had never seen,and that,personally,right away very intrigued me for the method and for his analogy(or omology?Dunno!) with the Bowline in the bight, with regard of the respective simple version(s)of the two knots.Perhaps the Inuit / Eskimo Bowline on (or in) the bight is a knot a little more difficult to make than the common Bowline in the bight, but still remains open the question(at least for me)of which of the two knots is safer!

Alan, I want to finally take this opportunity to tell you that I follow your videos on Youtube since Christmas last year (i love the Kung Fu method for the Bowline, also because, thanks to this method "almost in the bight", I found that there is no need to untuck the tail of a bowline to transform a common bowline in a Dutch / Cowboy bowline and vice versa ...), some of which are very beautiful, while all the others... are very amazing!...I love your videos,and I love your knots in this forum!
With regard to the sequence of steps that you posted in this thread, well ... amazing for me!+1  X1 awesome,and+1 IPAtch very cool : after at least two hours of "easy life", I have not only realized your knot (I did the opposite route, starting from zero,and then vice versa), but I also realized that, as far as I'm concerned, you've given to me the best "in the bight knotting exploration" of my life!

X1, there is a knot that bears my name, so I understand that I have a responsibility, which, within the limits of my ability, I will try to honor: so here is an explanation of how to run my/our/I guess more than anything else your,but especially of anyone/everyone(I know you agree with this)Luca s TIB bowline, accompanied by some pictures:

1: Starting from Abok # 1126, grab the loop of the Cow hitch component around the standing ends that is closest to the double noose(coloured in red),and pull it in the way as indicated by the big arrow in the first picture, so as to shorten the noose adjacent to it(even in red), until  it does adheres around the leg of the loop (in green in the second picture)which in the meantime has been formed,i.e.the leg that is adjacent to the loop of the original cow hitch that is closest to the standing parts.
2:The green loop in the second picture will be the fixed single loop:now just grab the standing part colured in red in the second picture, and pull it as indicated  by the big arrow so as to shorten the other noose until it  adheres around the first nipping component  previously adhered around the leg according to step 1.
3: Done! Now is colored in green also the portion of the rope that has been moved during step 2; note that the portions of rope that are coloured in blue during all three steps(because of the schematic nature of drawings, and also because of the schematic nature of the method explained here:but it is obvious that one can adjust the things as desired in the reality) does not have moved.(O.K., I know, the explanation is very bad)
For convenience and a proper realistic dressing and setting,here the link to the images of the post by X1 (better, right?):

http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4168.msg25388#msg25388

Note that this knot, appropriately dressed and setted, is exactly the same of a Yosemite bowline,i.e. this is a real single loop Bowline in the bight!

Bye!

« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 12:58:08 PM by Luca »

kd8eeh

• Exp. Member
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 01:44:47 AM »
Looking at the beginning of this eskimo bowline, I found a similar knot that is also TIB, and forms an adjustable loop, like a taught line hitch.  It's a bit awkward to tie, and very awkward to untie, but as long as we are on this subject, I figure it might be helpful to those using this as a reference.

The knot is essentially the beginning of this knot, using a pursik instead of a cow hitch.  Note either both loops must be loaded, or only the loop attached to the top of the hitch.

X1

• Inactive
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 03:37:26 AM »
   I believe that this is the simplest ( and most easy, indeed ) method of tying the Luca TIB bowline starting from ABoK#1126. The 3 pictures are telling, I had not felt any need to read the text. :)  And I think that even the black arrows and the little black loops (used by Ashley for something else) are not needed, either. 

kd8eeh

• Exp. Member
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 05:52:46 AM »
This knot is somewhat noteworthy compared to luca's bowline.  It is the same knot, the the tails become the loop and the loop becomes the tails.  It is also TIB, and much simpler to tie, but it really only has three loaded strands and a tail, in that sense it is only useful if you are only pulling on one end.  Still, it is noteworthy.  Also, it strongly resembles an inline figure 8 loop.

IPAtch

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 10:33:18 PM »
Eric22: I have rearranged the transformation (did you have a name for it?) you made to illustrate the differences between it and the eskimo bowline on a bight (ebob). The one on the left is the ebob, the one on the right is yours.

I was surprised it became so clear. To reproduce this, start with either knot, then start turning the knot inside out until you get to an overhand knot in the standing part. I might go through the series of these loops and compare the differences when laid out in this format. Maybe we will come up with a few more. Thanks for the inspiration!

alanleeknots

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 03:44:58 AM »
Hi All,

Thanks everyone's comments, I have 3 more variations here ,it seem like ok to me, they all can reverse to zero, just so busy working don't have time to do the reverse sequence in picture.
So i just post it for now, i will get back to it if you guys think this loops are alright.

Thanks   alan lee.

kd8eeh

• Exp. Member
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 04:04:37 AM »
In regards to Luca's bowline, I found a double loop variation of this, as well as another way to tie it which I like for the fact that it is easier when trying to tie the knot with a large loop.

My pictures of this method probably aren't terribly clear.  From the second to the third you pull the strand in the loop that won't slide and have it pull the standing parts through.  From the third to the fourth is just a twist, and redressing the knot.

X1

• Inactive
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 04:29:38 AM »
   Alan Lee and kd8eeh, your knots and your pictures are excellent ! My only suggestion is to try to remain to knots reasonably complex, because I am afraid that this manipulation of the entangled bights can go for ever... and generate knots that would resemble puzzles more than tools.

kd8eeh

• Exp. Member
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 05:17:11 AM »
   Alan Lee and kd8eeh, your knots and your pictures are excellent ! My only suggestion is to try to remain to knots reasonably complex, because I am afraid that this manipulation of the entangled bights can go for ever... and generate knots that would resemble puzzles more than tools.
What's wrong with puzzles? :)

X1

• Inactive
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 05:21:38 AM »
What's wrong with puzzles? :)

Nothing - except that some people may argue they belong to the "Fancy" knots section... :)

Luca

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2012, 02:01:26 AM »
Hi to all,

Fumbling with the splendid sequence posted by Alan Lee, I realized that he has given us also a method for the Luca s TIB bowline,that, with a little practice, makes the knot discreetly fast to execute;I tried to execute a step-by-step drawning:for me it was more difficult than I thought,also because I have complicated my life with my own hands, and the result does not do justice to the real simplicity of the method.There are some"conceptual"mistakes,I guess,but the patterns should be substantially correct (I hope).The first two steps are the same(mirror versions) as the last two steps of the sequence by Alan Lee(second picture):

http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4168.msg25423#msg25423

it is just overthrow down and back the appropriate leg of the bight (what appears to be pinned with the pin in the penultimate step in the picture by Alan)and then pull the other leg so that the other shrink to form the collar.

Bye!

X1

• Inactive
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2012, 09:31:52 PM »
   I have a dream...That somebody collects all the TIB single and double loops we know...and then post pictures of any one of them being transformed to any one else, by a proper series of moves.
   Could you do it for us, Luca ? It would be a most useful thing, as a result, but also a most interesting pass-time, as an endeavour.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 09:32:46 PM by X1 »

Luca

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2012, 12:46:02 AM »
Hi to all,

This knot is somewhat noteworthy compared to luca's bowline.  It is the same knot, the the tails become the loop and the loop becomes the tails.

Yes!This loop is ABOK #1057, but if you dress the Luca s TIB bowline(every time I write it is always a bit embarrassing for me ..)like a Yosemite-finished Bowline, then it is better that you take a look also at #1043!

I have a dream...

I too!

That somebody collects all the TIB single and double loops we know...

Great idea!

and then post pictures of any one of them being transformed to any one else, by a proper series of moves.

Would be fantastic!

Could you do it for us, Luca ?

No

It would be a most useful thing, as a result, but also a most interesting pass-time, as an endeavour.

Thanks, I'm glad because maybe you've enjoyed my little work;I am a little guy here,and I consider myself a friend of everyone here,so I like to consider me as a little friend of everyone here,then,automatically(and perhaps not only for this automaticity),I consider myself a little friend of X1...but unfortunately it happens that sometimes also the friends disappoint!...Perhaps you've found a good way by which I could achieve something constructive in this forum, but, sincerely and simply,I do not feel like!
If I say to you "yes", it would not be a pass-time,but a commitment,and I do not want that!
Since you have tickled my vanity by buckling my name to this single TIB bowline, so I spent to illustrate the above methods, and I'm very proud of the Dying Zebra method(in honor of what you write in this forum, and in honor of what you do write in this forum)that was inspired by Alan Lee,because, with a little practice, it is not discreetly fast as I wrote before,but is very fast, in fact!

Bye!