Author Topic: Which rope would you carry in a pick-up truck / ute ?  (Read 6313 times)

Andy

• Exp. Member
  • Five Knots a Day keeps Alzheimer's Away
    • My Selection of Most Useful Knots
Which rope would you carry in a pick-up truck / ute ?
« on: November 30, 2012, 09:29:17 PM »
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I had no luck with the search function.

I'm wanting to replace the main rope I've been using to anchor furniture, timber, plywood etc to my "ute" (that's what pick-up trucks are called in Australia and New Zealand). By the looks of it, it was polypropylene, about 8mm (3/8 inch), 15 meters (50 feet). Having to haul a lot of two-by-fours, posts and other building material at the moment and it is no longer feeling safe (quite frayed).

I could go with polypropylene again this time, but it is not the most satisfying material to handle (though it holds knots well and performs well) and I wonder if I can do better.

If money was no object, I wonder what some of you would pick as the rope of choice for this application.
I realize that nylon is an option. Some like the stretch, some not. Apparently there are concerns about how it performs in certain weather.

Would some of you share your "top three" rankings of what kind of rope you would like to throw in your pick-up / ute?

Thanks mucho.
my selection of most useful knots

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
Re: Which rope would you carry in a pick-up truck / ute ?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 10:24:56 PM »
Andy, you mention polypropylene but this comes in at least 3 forms - split film which is the cheapest often referred to as "builders' rope" in the UK, artificial hemp which is polyprop fibres made into 3 strand laid rope - looks and feels a bit like vegetable fibre rope - and fine spun polyprop fibre which is again made into laid rope but is softer and has a silky feel to it. The imitation hemp is usually reasonable stuff and takes a splice pretty well if eg you need an eye. Money no object I would probably opt for a kernmantel rope  - polyester sheath and core - or a hawser laid polyester if I though I might need a splice in it. I would also consider as my third choice using tubular climbing tape as this may avoid damaging a load as the pressure is spread across a much wider area (from memory the narrower tape is about 16mm) -a short piece can also be used to sheath a rope to avoid wear against a piece of say rough timber so it can be handy.

Hope this helps.

Barry

Andy

• Exp. Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 12:12:05 PM »
Hi Barry,

Thank you for helping me with this.

you mention polypropylene but this comes in at least 3 forms

This old rope is twisted polypropylene, probably of a similar kind to what Amazon sells as "California truck rope", and perhaps the "ine spun polyprop fibre" you mentioned.

Money no object I would probably opt for a kernmantel rope  - polyester sheath and core

Do you mean something like a climbing rope? If so, wouldn't it stretch too much?

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 10:40:26 PM »
This old rope is twisted polypropylene, probably of a similar kind to what Amazon sells as "California truck rope", and perhaps the "ine spun polyprop fibre" you mentioned.

Do you mean something like a climbing rope? If so, wouldn't it stretch too much?

It's difficult to tell from the picture but it looks like split film polyprop especially in 2 colours like that. No matter - if you want to use climbing rope then you need static rope with little elongation not dynamic rope which stretches by up to about 40% I seem to remember. However the excellent qualities of climbing rope are likely to be a bit of a waste for the back of a truck - ordinary polyester rope is fine even though price is no object. I think I would rather replace the rope regularly and spend money that way - you can always make a mat out of the replaced rope!

Barry

Andy

• Exp. Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 06:14:44 AM »
Hi Barry,

I think I would rather replace the rope regularly

Agreed, good plan. It looks like we're only talking ten to fifteen bucks for fifty feet (in 3/8).

ordinary polyester rope is fine

Just to make sure I understand you, are you saying you'd take polyester over polypropylene? Or are you using the two terms interchangeably? (Doesn't seem like you are, but when you see "poly rope" advertised, it's unclear what the material is.) From what I read in the last few days, it looks like polypropylene is stronger than polyester---but polyester might have some benefits in your mind that offset that.

[EDIT: reading your post on Liros rope for sale in the UK, I see that some polyester rope must be much stronger than polypropylene! Confusing.]

Wishing you a beautiful week,

Andy
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 07:44:24 AM by Andy »

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 09:48:47 AM »
Hi Andy

Polypropylene rope is often called just "poly" or "polypro" here probably because "polypropylene" is a mouthful and not easy to say - just as polyethylene is always known as polythene. It usually means split film polypropylene (you can tell this by cutting off a short piece and opening up the fibres - they will be narrow plastic ribbons twisted to form rope). So called "mooring rope" is usually fine spun polypropylene - nice to handle and cheaper than polyester but see below for a comparison. Polyester rope is always called by its proper name (though thinner stuff is sometimes called by the trade name Dacron) - the word is easy to say and remember. Comparing the two:

Polyester is stronger and more abrasion resistant

Polypropylene is much cheaper (a friend of mine uses a huge amount to make canal boat fenders and buys it by weight not length) - and it floats

Neither rope stretches as much as nylon (I have some pre-stretched polyester which has almost no elongation)

NB retail prices on the web for polypropylene in the UK are usually ridiculously high compared to buying a 220 metre coil from the manufacturer.

Hope this helps.

Barry

Andy

• Exp. Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 10:36:48 AM »
Hope this helps.

Hugely. Thank you very much.
I had completely misunderstood what I read elsewhere.

I'll see if polyester (or "Dacron") rope has made it to this part of the world at an affordable price.
Will also get a poly rope to compare side by side.

Thanks again, Barry.

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 09:37:41 PM »
I think that there are vastly more ropes than one is led
to believe by some explanations.  Most of what I find of
commercial-fishing use is what is called "poly-Dac", some
combination of polypro/polyeth & polyester.  It's at least
rumored that sometimes the polyethylene is of the
stronger, co-extruded nature and maybe with some
of the strength-boosting that leads to HMPE?!
Poly-Dac ropes will be lighter than Dacron (polyester)
and more springy, but better handling than PP.

There are grades of PP, with UV inhibitors & black chosen
to protect vs. UV degradation.  The coextruded PP/PE material
seems better at this than mere PP.

Sounds like you need a few ropes in the back, in anticipation
of various tasks.

Cheers,
--dl*
====

Andy

• Exp. Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 08:39:44 AM »
Dan, thanks for making matters that much simpler.  ;)

Sounds like you need a few ropes in the back, in anticipation
of various tasks.

Indeed. A mate of mine is a former yachtie (ten years at see must count), and he has all kinds of favorite bits of rope of various materials and thicknesses, which makes it really fun when I help him haul stuff on my ute. It also makes me a bit jealous. ;)

A few months ago I bought 100 feet of 6mm accessory cord. It's so gorgeous I haven't touched it.
www.amazon.com/dp/B004LS92BU/
Thinking of cutting that in half for a truck rope. Also tickled by the "California truck rope", for ten bucks I need to get one. Then there's the polyester channel that Sweeney turned me on to, I'd like to tune in to that as well.

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 05:37:50 PM »
The Knots in the Wild thread has images of all sorts of ropes,
and I'm reminded of the common marine kermantle ropes/cords
used by commercial fisherman --for the pot bridles on conch pots
and the longline to which those pots are clipped.  This rope is I
think nylon and pretty flexible.

If you can get to some commercial-fishing places, you might look
around for discarded ropes, or for shops with new, too.
I just returned from Thanksgiving visit to Cape May Point and found
a nice long (60', say?) pot warp of 3/8" (5/16"?) laid poly-combo
that should work fine for your uses (cut into multiple pieces, I'd
think 8-25' long?).

--dl*
====

Andy

• Exp. Member
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 08:00:33 AM »
If you can get to some commercial-fishing places, you might look
around for discarded ropes, or for shops with new, too.

Hi Dan, funny, I've been meaning to do that this week. A mate of mine has told me that you can sometimes find some amazing rope discarded by the marina. I've never had such luck but I suspect there's a skip hiding somewhere that yachties and fishermen peruse. As for the shops near the port they practice "remote island prices" (but isn't every port an island when you're living at sea). I'd like to go drool over what they stock anyhow.

Incidentally, looking at polyester and poly rope in a store today, my feeling is now that my old truck rope is polyester, which would explain why it's been so good to me.

found a nice long (60', say?) pot warp of 3/8" (5/16"?) laid poly-combo that should work fine for your uses

That sounds great. If you'll hold on to it until the weekend, I'll come pick it up. You're only 9,000 miles away as the crow flies, though Central America is in the way. I'll have to check whether the Panama Canal is open on Fridays.

Regards,

A

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 06:29:17 PM »
Interestingly (?), I've found nearly nothing smacking of yachting,
although there are sailboats around Cape May --nothing washed
up, that is.

So, yes, you might have luck with the marina & yachting --esp.
if you can make contact with someone who might be swapping
out line, wanting to use something more hi-tech or just as a
matter of maintenance!?  But try to find some commercial-fishing
sources, if you can.  (And nevermind the ute : rope is valuable
just for playing with, tying knots!   ;D  )

;)

Andy

• Exp. Member
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 09:36:26 PM »
Hi Dan,

But try to find some commercial-fishing sources, if you can.

I went around to the port / marina yesterday. It's a compact town so there's everything there, from container ships for logs, to commercial fisheries (Tally's, Solly's), to weekend boaties, to larger yachts from people who sail around the South Pacific (and the world).

I always walking around there, there's heaps to look at, and to smell, and lots of cordage to see. I only found one skip, and it was full of stinky refuse such as guts from someone's fishing trip. The big skips from the commercial guys are behind fences.

But I walked into a place that specializes in rope and related gear, and treated myself to 15 meters (50 feet) of 8mm polyester rope (total 11 USD equivalent). That place also makes rope, but not this one, it was imported. I never thought I wanted a white rope with blue dashes, but I'm in love with it. I love how it handles. Going back soon to get a couple extra yards to have a piece in the house to play with.

So it's a happy man who writes to you.  ;D
Esp since I've been going through the forum to see topics I've missed in the couple years that I've been fairly inactive, and finding lots of cool ideas to play with.

Wishing you and everyone on the forum a beautiful weekend.