Author Topic: I can't find this in my books  (Read 5497 times)

djh860

I can't find this in my books
« on: November 16, 2012, 11:46:24 PM »
This knot seems sound and will untie after loading.  I don't know what its called.
It begins by standing two lines side by side with the sharp ends pointing in opposite directions.  Take the sharp end of one line and go over,under, around the other line then through the two lines.

With the 2nd line go under, over, around then through the two lines

Grab both parts of each color in one hand/  in this case both reds in one both blacks in the other and pull away from each other to tighten.  When firm pull only the standing or load bearing end to tighten.

kd8eeh

• Exp. Member
Re: I can't find this in my books
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 12:35:10 AM »
I know i butchered my last reply to one of these, but it looks to me as though this is just a very small (1 twist) version of a blood knot, a knot commonly used in fishing.

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 12:47:41 AM »
Hi djh860,

I find your offering either a ABoK #1408-9 "Whatknot" with additional twists of the working ends or a ABoK #1417 with one less twists of the working ends. The latter based on two opposing timber hitches.

Stress your bend and see how it performs.

SS

Luca

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 01:36:46 AM »
Hi djh860,

Double Harness bend with opposite(and crossed)ends for me(ABOK #1420).

Bye!

Luca

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 02:50:16 AM »
Hi kd8eeh,

I know i butchered my last reply to one of these, but it looks to me as though this is just a very small (1 twist) version of a blood knot, a knot commonly used in fishing.

You're right for me!I had not ever noticed that the Double Harness bend with opposite ends is basically a very small (1 twist) version of the Blood knot (or at least of a version of the Blood knot), thanks (also for your beautiful knots)!

Bye!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 03:09:08 AM by Luca »

X1

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 03:58:30 AM »
  I do not believe there is any benefit to dress the Double Harness bend ( ABoK#1420) like this. It is better if the tail of each link, which is going to be squeezed on the other link, does it by being squeezed upon the other link s tail at the first place, along a greater area. However, this "belief" is something that should be confirmed or disproved only by detailed experiments.
( See the attached pictures)
  For the record, this is my second choice for a bend, after the Zeppelin bend - and the SS bend which is not a practical knot.) It can be considered as a single or double fisherman s knot, without the redundant parts... :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 04:10:34 AM by X1 »

djh860

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 04:07:35 AM »
I can see the similarity to the double harness bend.  I wrap the standing end in the opp. Direction though.
(I think)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 04:19:24 AM by djh860 »

X1

• Inactive
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 04:24:30 AM »
   With my stiff ropes, I can not dress the Double Harness bend as you show... A nice future of this bend is that, from the moment the tails "kiss" each other, you are not oblized to pay any attention to them any more. It seems that to dress this bend the way you show, at least with the kernmantle climbing ropes I use, you have to try a lot ! :)
   On the contrary, the two variations of the other Double Harness bend ( ABoK#1421), the "short" and the "long' (1), are equally easy to set up and dress.

1. http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=2851
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 04:26:50 AM by X1 »

anything