Author Topic: four strand carrick bend?  (Read 9217 times)

kd8eeh

• Exp. Member
four strand carrick bend?
« on: October 21, 2012, 04:59:06 AM »
i recently discovered a way to make a knot in four strands i believe to be equivlant to a two strand carrick bend, how it is laid when tying a knife lanyard knot.  the knot is not new, i found it in abok, but there it is listed as a sinnet knot (#761).  however, i found that you can pass the ends of the rope through the center as you do tying a knife lanyard knot and you are left with an 8 strand diamond knot in four strands.  also, you can tie something of a simmilar nature to a chineese button knot.  the drawback is that an 8 strand diamond knot is inherently unstable and will colapse and the ends are not will supported, but i do belive this knot could have quite some potential, as a new way of thinking of things.  also, on an unrelated note, i have been extremely interested in knots all of my life and i only just found you guys.  i am so happy this group exists

kd8eeh

• Exp. Member
Re: four strand carrick bend?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 01:57:17 AM »
this is the finished knot next to a knife lanyard knot
i hope you can see the similarity.
when i do it for more than 3 strands, the knot becomes too big to be tied practically, and falls appart and looks ugly.

kd8eeh

• Exp. Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 01:58:56 AM »
abok 769, for comparison, in 3 strands

kd8eeh

• Exp. Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 02:09:16 AM »
for comparison, a 6 strand diamond knot

truemoparian

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 11:12:19 AM »
I never had a need for a four stranded Carrick Bend but, as far as the strength and speed of use of the 2-stranded carrick bend, in Dutch Harbor, Alaska crab fishing, the Carrick Bend is a true working mans knot that can be tied in 8-seconds and increases the strength of the line throughout the knot. I use the term KNOT lightly in this application as this BEND can have immense stress forced upon it and yet can be released or untied just as fast as it can be tied. In implementing this bend in the fishing industry requiring maximum strength and ease of use to add line or remove line in a live action situation, this knot is ideal. I have personally used this knot in the crabbing industry in alaska and just thought i would add this in to your thread.

If anyone has any specific questions on my fishing experience please feel free to ask!!!

PS. The CARRICK BEND has saved lives and loss of gear!!!

kd8eeh

• Exp. Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 04:52:38 PM »
perhaps your right.  topologically, i defined a carrick bend based on the form after it is tensioned, as seen in the beginning of a knife lanyard knot, so it isn't exactly used as a bend.  i guess i couldn't really say something else though, because that may be confusing.  i really haven't even tested this knot as a bend between four strands.  do you know what else i should perhaps call it?

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 03:46:27 AM »
in Dutch Harbor, Alaska crab fishing, the Carrick Bend is a true working man's knot ...
I have personally used this knot in the crabbing industry in alaska and , ...
If anyone has any specific questions on my fishing experience please feel free to ask!!!

PS. The CARRICK BEND has saved lives and loss of gear!!!

Welcome to the knots show, Truemoparian!
Let's take the topic of commercial-fishing knots of the Alaskan
crabbers over to the Practical Knotting forum and explore ... !

I'll start the thread there with this excerpt from your post.
 :)

Cheers,
--dl*
====