Author Topic: Man On Wire: IGKT member Phillipe Petit documentary  (Read 1660 times)

Mrs Glenys Chew

• Administrator
  • Exp. Member
Man On Wire: IGKT member Phillipe Petit documentary
« on: October 12, 2012, 08:46:25 AM »
Dear All in the UK

The BBC iPlayer is currently showing Storyville: Man on Wire.  As I understand the iPlayer limitations, it is only available in the UK.  Other countries are welcome to try accessing it, but I don't think you'll succeed.

It's available until 18th October 2012, having been broadcast last night.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00m0mbt/Storyville_20082009_Man_on_Wire/

Regards
Glenys
Mrs Glenys Chew
1 Corinthians 15:10

KnotMe

• The Chinese Knotting Homepage
Re: Man On Wire: IGKT member Phillipe Petit documentary
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 06:30:31 AM »
I'm able to see the description from Canada.  So, is there knot content to the rigging or is it all wire and metal shackles?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 06:32:11 AM by KnotMe »

Mrs Glenys Chew

• Administrator
  • Exp. Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 08:37:55 AM »
Hi Carol,

I mentioned it mostly because Phillipe is a member.  I hadn't realised the whole programme was an hour and a half long, and so I'm only just now sitting down to watch it in full.  There are some clips on YouTube, including a full version subtitled in Arabic.  I haven't looked at that to see what its like.

Sweeney referred me to http://www.manonwire.com/ when Philippe contacted me earlier this year.

So far they've reconstructed the Notre Dame and Sydney walks, but shown nothing of the actual setting up.  Not until 38 minutes do you actually see a knot, and it's the ones attaching small cord to rope to wire.  Time on screen: couple of seconds hold on the rope-to-wire knot.  It isn't one I know, but it's probably one in common usage.

I'll have to post later as to whether I find any other knots :)

Regards
Glenys
Mrs Glenys Chew

Mrs Glenys Chew

• Administrator
  • Exp. Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 11:51:59 PM »
Just for the update, the only rigging I actually noticed was about 3 minutes from the end of the programme.  Phillippe uses rope to tension a wire, pulling it taughter, and then wrapping the end in a half-hitch to take up slack and hold it slightly, ready for the next pull.
Mrs Glenys Chew

anything