Author Topic: "New" bend ?  (Read 4249 times)

X1

• Inactive
"New" bend ?
« on: August 11, 2012, 08:33:16 AM »
  If we take into account all their variations, the number of the simple, symmetric, stable and secure bends (4s  :)) we know is something around 200. In just a small percentage of them, (around 15%), the two links of the bend are topologically equivalent to the unknot - i.e., they are not overhand knots, fig.8 knots, double overhand knots, fig.9 knots, etc. That means they can be utilised as "base" knots for bowline-like end-of-line loops, because they will be completely untied the moment the collar structure will be pulled off from the nipping structure. However, I should mention that this strategy does not deliver many interesting bowline-like loops - because, in a bend, we have two loaded ends, while, in a loop knot, we have three - so the ends and the means of the knot structures in those two types of knots are quite different.
   I believe that all  those bends are, by now,  known and published :  in Ashley, Miles, or at this forum. So, when it happens to me to tie a "new" bend, I am surprised - I always assume that I have seen it but I have forgotten it - or that it should have been published somewhere else, and it has been remained unknown to me, just because I have not read any other knot books. :)
   The bend presented in this thread is nothing else but the ABoK#1451, but I have forgotten it - and the interesting thing is that I have re-tied it while I was trying to figure out a "base" knot for a new bowline-like loop, NOT another bend knot !  :) So, it was an opportunity for me to examine this bend in more detail, as a bend and as a "base" knot for a bowline-like end-of-line loop as well.
   Ashley remarks that it is easily untied  but not so strong. I suppose he does not like the sharp turn followed by the standing part(s) ( a turn around two rope diameters, which, in fact is a turn around only one, because of the position of the two rope diameters, the one behind - and not next to- the other, as one can see in the attached pictures).  I think that this disadvantage might disappear in a slipped version, where we will have a third diameter going through the standing part s loop. Three rope diameters inside a nipping loop are always placed in a triangulated position, each one adjacent to the other two, so in the slipped version of this bend the standing part will be forced to turn around a wider first curve.
   Regarding security, I may say that the ABoK#1451 bears some resemblance to the Oval bend (1) - in the way the tails are secured in the knot s nub by going over/under/over ( or under/over/under) three parallel strands.
   I have tied this bend on the firmer / stiffer ropes I have ( as the rope shown at the attached pictures) , as well as on the most flexible / soft ones - it always worked perfectly, without "eating" / consuming any portion of its tails. It had never slipped or jammed, and I have not been able to force it to capsize - but I have to say that I have not yet tried it at very high loads.
   I believe that the end-of-line loop corresponding to the (one-sided) slipped version of this bend would be an interesting bowline-like crossing knot loop, easy to tie and untie, that deserves to be explored. (See the attached pictures).

1) http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=3741
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 02:43:40 PM by X1 »

X1

• Inactive
Re: "New" bend ?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 01:47:33 PM »
   P.S. 2012-07-11 : I have edited my previous post, and I have added pictures of the ABoK#1451 (slipped) crossing knot / bowline-like loop.

anything