Author Topic: mifor's collection of single knot tutorials by other people annotated  (Read 7603 times)

KnotMe

• The Chinese Knotting Homepage
right after mifor's own collection of tutorial link post, she (he?) also posted her collection of tutorial links by other people.  I'm assuming that the text in the brackets refers to the source or the person.  I have no proof of that, but am including it in my annotation text.

四方结(惦念)
   four direction knot
   like the 4 petal cloverleaf/square flower, this has 4 ears and a square centre, but has more in common with the creeper/flat/square macrame knots than the cloverleaf

二宝5套(惦念)
   2x5 bao knot

星辰结(手工)
   original link is broken but using the knot name as a search string brings us a 6 pointed stellar/constellation knot.  There are of course, other results for constellation/stellar knots but this one is nice and clear.

团锦花(胡波)
   6 petal cloverleaf with extra passes to give definitive ears by hubo5563, not unlike the 4 petal version also known as ABoK #587

桂花结(胡波)
   original link is broken, but searching brings us a knot which like the above is a cloverleaf knot with complete ears.  This one is square/4 petals and a lanyard (two strands in, two strands out) so it is not ABoK #587 which is inline (one strand in, one strand out)

12套星辰(苦涩)
   12 pointed constellation/stellar knot schematic (looks like overlap of 5), go to the last page of the comments to see the tied knot

蝶形小结(尘子娃娃,胡波)
   clearly a variant of the double connection/two strand matthew walker with a triangular heart, this one by hubo5563.  Is it the same as mifor's?

凤尾结(心静如水)
   vertigo inducing, blurrily photographed phoenix tail instructions

松球结(水晶心)
      extended button knots.  pretty sure these are included in the set of 50 below

50种纽扣结汇总(胡波)
   the previously posted 50 variants on button knots

十二耳实心团锦(开新小妖)
   12 ear cloverleaf/dodecagonal flower schematic (overlap of 5)

双耳横双联结(流星)
   concentric ear double connection/two strand matthew walker variant

7times6

Re: mifor's collection of single knot tutorials by other people annotated
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 04:26:52 PM »
Thank you for continuing to share these tutorials here.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    --Douglas Adams

KnotMe

• The Chinese Knotting Homepage
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 10:19:36 PM »
Thank you for continuing to share these tutorials here.

No problem.  I'm glad people are finding them interesting even if they never seem to engender discussion.

Still it's inspiring, no?  What's going on out there?

I've been considering how to connect the worlds beyond what I'm doing here.  Should I post there?  In English?  In poorly cobbled together ransom note style machine generated translation chunks?  Do I (or we) have anything to say they might find interesting?  I think the answer to the last question is "yes."

Should this be a solo effort?  Should the guild have a diplomacy policy?  Should the guild have a manifest destiny international contact plan?

Through blogs and forums, I have found (1) a collection of enormous mainland China forums (2) a loose affiliation of Japanese bloggers (3) an active Spanish language blogger (who is clearly reading the Chinese and Japanese forums)

There are groups on Flickr, Youtube and Facebook.

On Google+ I'm finding Spanish language macrame-ers plus a smattering of Russian.

In English, but in forums and communities of their own are friendship bracelet aficionados and boondogglers.  Annoyingly (to me) the paracord people are splintering into their own subgroup, although if one thinks of that as "friendship bracelets for tough guys" it's not so terrible a development.  8)

I think we should be trying to reach out.  I think we should invite them to write columns for Knotting Matters.  I think, if possible, we should be pairing people to write articles in languages other than English (plus translations).  If the funds allow, we should be physically inviting people to the AGM and other gatherings.

I think we should have a 'Net "forum" policy.  I think we should mount deliberate campaigns to provide authoritative information and instructions to places like eHow, Instructables, Make: Projects, Wikipedia and the like.

I think we should have kits or information packages for those who wish to display at their local boat shows, craft fair, cultural festival, farmer's market, scout jamboree, Maker Faire, etc.

OK, this got out of hand kind of quickly.  8)  Just what I think about from time to time...

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 01:39:24 PM »
Hi Carol

I generally agree but as we can't find people to actually run the Guild it may be ambitious to try and do much involving languages other than English - shame though. Incidentally one of your list of Chinese knots (actually a 4 bight 5 lead  - not 5B 4L TH) - tied flat) makes this knot really easy to remember.

Barry