Author Topic: The knot so serious thread  (Read 1464 times)

firebight

The knot so serious thread
« on: August 02, 2012, 12:33:07 AM »
Just for giggles, imagine yourself the only survivor ship wrecked and awash in some far away deserted island somewhere in the pacific.  Along with your still breathing, but wary body, a box containing ample supply of 11mm rope and a knife are all the lands on this sandy shoreline. For your survival, your knot and rope skills will mean the difference between life and succumbing to Davy Jones locker.

Being an accountant you never had much use for knot tying, but through the years you did manage to learn a few knots.

One Loop
One Bend
One Hitch
One Stopper
One lashing
One knot you just can't live without ( This is where you can knotdazzle us)

Now only having one knot in each category which would you use. This is just for fun. Maybe you could add a note for the reasons of your choices.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 01:34:58 AM by firebight »

Hrungnir

• Exp. Member
Re: The knot so serious thread
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 09:41:02 PM »
This will probably be a very boring answer :P

Loop - Bowline
Bend - Sheet Bend
Hitch - Roundturn and two half hitches
Stopper - Figure eight
Lashing - Square lashing
Knot you can't live without - Reef knot (there's no binder on your list and I would definitely need one)

All these knots are simple and have proven their value over several decades. They are easy to untie (which is very important because I most likely have a limited amount of rope), they are adaptable, quick to tie and perform well in most materials.

A challenger to the bowline would be a mid line loop. The loops could be used for climbing up the rope, or gaining mechanical advantage in some situations.
Challenger to the sheet bend would be something more secure, something which doesn't unties that easily.
Challenger to round turn and two half hitches would either be a vertical pull hitch, an adjustable hitch or a mid line hitch which can be loaded on both ends (like the clove hitch).
The ashley stopper for more bulk or double overhand to stop rope ends from fraying (figure eight unties too easily).
Gleipnir and constrictor are a lot stronger than reef knot, but aren't as adaptable nor perform as well in other materials (like clothing, bandages++).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 10:02:02 PM by Hrungnir »

firebight

Re: The knot so serious thread
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 07:46:20 AM »
Good choices, and thanks for joining in, guess the others don't want to play. For the bowline, I hope you would have went with one of the more beefy one like the Ymacallit. My choice of bends would have been the fig 8 follow through, cause any bend can also make a loop, and the fig 8 is good enough for rescue work :)  I think your reef knot was also good choice, for me I would have to say Versatackle.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 11:51:12 PM by firebight »

anything