Author Topic: need help  (Read 2271 times)

Capt.GL Chiles

need help
« on: July 04, 2012, 12:27:14 AM »
I have finally found something that truly intrigues me, that is this dying art, my name is Gary Chiles, I have lived on ,in,and around the Ocean on both coasts in the United states, its in my blood.. I REALLY want to learn this art and am willing to do and invest what I am able to to learn it. I need advice initially on where is the best place to buy the 6 strand, 3 strand line of various sizes to start practicing. My ultimate goal is to start with my 30 foot vessel and maybe branch into others vessels and possibly teach it eventually. Can ANYONE help me and point me in the right direction as to where to buy the correct materiels and tools to get myself started, you guys are the pros and I am convinced after all my research that I am in the right hands with the guild. I appreciate any feedback and plan on attending any classes , shows etc. to increase my understanding of all of the aspects of knot tying. I am currently a Fire Captain in San Diego, Ca. Something locally would be beneficial, but I dont mind purchasing online either if the distributors are trustworthy . Thanks for any help. My E-mail is Gary.Chiles@USMC.mil.

squarerigger

• Global Moderator
  • IGKTPAB Immediate Past President
    • The Knot Guy
Re: need help
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 01:22:53 AM »
Hi Gary,

If it is of any interest to you the Pacific Americas Branch of the IGKT is near you, but a little ways up the coast.  Alternatively, if you have time on Saturday, drop by the Pilgrim in Dana Point (24200 Dana Point Harbor Drive) and ask for Lindsey.  I'll be on the ship or somewhere nearby from 0900 'til about 1500.  The Pacific Americas Branch has a Branch meeting in San Pedro on the second Tuesday of the month.  PM me here and I will get directions for you and a map.  We teach and we share....  Welcome aboard!

Lindsey
Editor, Knotting Matters

Capt.GL Chiles

Re: need help/
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 04:43:53 AM »
 8) Thanks lindsey, I will be in touch, I will, unfortunately be on duty on Saturday. Any time i am off duty, (which is a good amount). I will gladly come up and meet you. are we talking about the Dana landing in OC? Or in San Diego? Since I am unable to make it this time, maybe you can steer me as to where to purchase line and such and where I should start with my new endeavor. Thanks again. PS- If anyone is out San Diego way, I would love to meet and learn.  San Pedro is quite a haul back and forth for me though. Have boat , will fish... Gary Chiles.

firebight

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 07:58:43 AM »
I live in San Diego as well, I work for a private fire agency, mostly industrial fire. Anyways, I think Lindsey is near Mission Viejo. I am familiar with the address because I took a trip to Catalina Island from there and took the Avalon route. I would love to come see your boat sometime Lindsey, but I just recently got a 8 week old Golden retriever so I am stuck at the house until the pup is old enough to go outside. Hey Capt. Maybe later on we can carpool to a Pacific Americas Branch meeting. Not sure where San Pedro is though ... I should mention Capt. that I would love to help you out with you knot quest, but I am new to this as well. I would love to talk rope rescue with you though :) Once I get a harness I want to do some repelling out in Borrego. Climbing gear gets expensive.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 08:12:29 AM by firebight »

WebAdmin

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 09:02:17 PM »
Hi Gary, and welcome to the forum. 

Lindsey: Just a point about personal messages: I believe you have to have a minimum of either 5 or 6 posts to be able to use the PM service here.  Email might be a better way of contacting each other until Gary has posted a bit more :)

Regards,
Glenys
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 09:04:44 PM by WebAdmin »
Lesley
WebAdmin

squarerigger

• Global Moderator
  • IGKTPAB Immediate Past President
    • The Knot Guy
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 03:59:15 AM »
Hi Gary and fire,

You are both welcome to come to San Pedro or we can come to you?  We have advocated for a while the idea of twigs (smaller than a Branch....) for places where we have only one or two members.  San Pedro is near Long Beach and will be the hub for next year's International Knotting Symposium and AGM of the IGKT.  THAT meeting will be aboard the Queen Mary in Long Beach so we hope to see you at that function also.  drop a line to me at marline dot man at verizon dot net if you would like hints on line stores, tools or anything else that you need to know.

SR

PS  almost forgot - Dana Point is north of San Clemente, which is north of the marine camp north of San Diego - DP is about 60 miles north of SD and SP is about 60 miles north of DP
I am in Long Beach although we do have members in MV and Laguna also

Capt.GL Chiles

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 05:42:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. i will definitely be in touch, trying to make enough postings up here so I can  start PMing. i dont want to make the mistake of spending unnecessary money on materiel that will be useless to me . I want to buy the exact tools and cordage that is right from the get go to get me started. Im not a complete newbie to knots, been a truckie in the fire dept. for 27 years. the stuff Im REALLY interested in is the fine smaller knotting, handrails, butts for fishing rods, gaffs and handle covers in particular, I spend a lot of time salt water fishing.Any advice will help, tight lines... Gary

Capt.GL Chiles

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 05:47:32 PM »
Hey Firebight,
                       Yea, definitely interested in doing the carpool thing if they dont have anything out here, maybe we cango visit the pilgrim?? [Post modified by WebAdmin to remove personal contact information: Capt Chiles kindly offered for anyone to contact him by phone.  If you would like to do so, please use either the email or personal message facility to exchange phone numbers.]  Any lines on suppliers?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 06:21:46 PM by WebAdmin »

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 03:56:41 AM »
We've had numerous posts about supplies of all kinds. Here are a few links to get lost in for a while. ;-)

http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=977.0
http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=3623.msg20681#msg20681
http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=2970.0

And if you should ever get your mooch up for custom tools there is a fellow I can suggest when that day comes.

SS