Author Topic: Henry North Grant Bushby "Notes on Knots" web exhibit  (Read 4583 times)

dfred

• Exp. Member
Henry North Grant Bushby "Notes on Knots" web exhibit
« on: July 03, 2012, 06:16:39 PM »
The Mariners' Museum in Newport News, VA has recently posted an online exhibit of excerpts from Henry North Grant Bushby's unpublished 1900+ page manuscript Notes on Knots:

http://www.marinersmuseum.org/library/notes-knots-henry-bushby-manuscript

It appears to be quite an impressive work.  I believe Dan Lehman, and perhaps a few others, have visited the museum and actually taken a look through this manuscript.  (Given the storm and massive power outages in Dan's neck of the woods, I suspect it could be a few more days before he's back online...)

As far as Bushby himself, here are a few things I've managed to find:

An entry from his diary dating from WWI and a pen/pencil sketch of him from this period..  The webpage also includes the text of Bushby's obituary in The Times from January 1926.  (Note that death date in obit differs by one day from memorial linked below.)

A user on Flickr has posted an image of a memorial plaque in a church in Wormley, Hertfordshire.  The geocoding for the image is not specific, but from context appears to be in the St. Laurence Church located here  The text of the memorial reads:  In Loving Memory of Henry North Grant Bushby, of Wormley Bury.  born sep. 6 . 1863, died jan. 14 . 1926.  "He giveth His beloved sleep."

Bushby also appears to have written a few articles on Japan, in the area of what would be considered economics or political science:

"Korea from the Japanese Viewpoint", in The Nineteenth Century and After, vol. 49, 1901, pp. 834-842.

"The Anglo-Japanese Treaty", The Nineteenth Century, March 1902.  (Found a citation to this in another work, not the original article.  A similar sounding article is mentioned in the MM exhibit text.)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 06:47:33 AM by dfred »

squarerigger

• Global Moderator
  • IGKTPAB Immediate Past President
    • The Knot Guy
Re: Henry North Grant Bushby "Notes on Knots" web exhibit
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 04:01:54 AM »
From what I have seen this is a VERY interesting MS and should keep some of our members busy for a while!

SR

dewildeman

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 07:45:33 AM »
At the IGKT-NAB meeting in 2003 at the Mariner's Museum several books from their collection were put out for display.  I believe one of these volumes were out for us to look at, also several pages from the orginal ABOK manuscript.  I don't have access to my pictures from that meeting right now.  Can any other members who were there remember?

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 07:51:19 PM »
From what I have seen this is a VERY interesting MS and should keep some of our members busy for a while!

SR

But from what I've seen on-line, it is only some excerpts
that are e-visible (to those who live at distances to the physical
book that make studying it inconvenient or simple preclude it),
and I didn't notice that the entire document has been copied
onto digital media --at least for safekeeping/security, if not
for (the much helpful) electronic access.
   :(

--dl*
====

Fairlead

• IGKT Member since 1984 - IGKT Librarian
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 12:38:21 PM »
Remember the 2003 Mariners Museum meeting very well.
Having been tipped off by Des Pawson that these books were in the museum, I asked that we could see them, I also remember the originals of ABOK being shown to us. 
I found the Bushby volumes so interesting that I stayed on another two days to study them thoroughly - took notes, photographs and copies of some pages (with the help of the library staff).  On return to the UK I set about finding out more about the man himself and with the help of my daughter (genealogy buff) came up with the information that the museum library has put on-line. 
I believe, after many years of several members and the IGKT badgering them, that the whole eight volumes will now be digitalised.  The IGKT committee are certainly in favour of supporting the library to do this.

Gordon