Author Topic: Zipper pull attahment? Something better than a cow hitch?  (Read 2218 times)

mlfrancis

Zipper pull attahment? Something better than a cow hitch?
« on: April 18, 2012, 06:37:29 PM »
Hello All,
This is a pretty sorry excuse for a first post, but I've been a lerker for some time and finally had a question. 

I made up a bunch of little zipper pulls using a Lanyard Knot (http://www.surreyknots.org.uk/2-lanyard-knot.htm) and attached them to my backpack's zippers with cow hitches.  Simple enough, right?  But, the cow hitches do not hold very tightly and loosen and look sloppy.  Now that the loops are already made, I have no ideas on anything better to attach them to the zippers with. 

I tried running the lanyard knot back through essentially attaching them with a cat's paw, but that didn't look good at all.  I couldn't figure out a way of tying a bull hitch since my zipper is attached to the bag and the loops are already tied.

Just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions? 

TIA,
Michael

knot4u

Re: Zipper pull attahment? Something better than a cow hitch?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 06:42:22 PM »
A Bull can be tied from a Cow without removal of zipper and without untying your lanyard knot.

Hrungnir

• Exp. Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 06:48:59 PM »
Man, you don't need the Cow Hitch at all. Why not just thread the twine through the zipper and then tie the Lanyard Knot? The great advantage with the Lanyard Knot is that it doesn't come undone easily, which makes the Cow Hitch nullifying this quality.

If you wish something larger and more elegant on your zippers (could be great on bags and backpacks), try the Crown Sinnet:
http://www.animatedknots.com/crownsinnet/index.php?Categ=decorative&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

You can attach the Crown Sinneth to your zipper with the Lanyard Knot.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 06:50:11 PM by Hrungnir »

mlfrancis

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 06:58:32 PM »
Knot4u,
My brain is not working today.  After you said it could be done, I picked up my bag and figured it out entirely too quickly.  Not sure why I was making something so hard out of it earlier.  Thanks!

Hrungnir,
The kids and I made up a bunch of the lanyard knot pulls just sitting around the TV one night.  We didn't really give too much thought to them before making them, hence not tying them on the bags themselves.  I haven't made a Crown Sinnet in years.  Now that I see and remember it, I'll have to show that one to the kids too.  We did make some Cobra Stitch pulls that look pretty good and are nice and heafty for grabbing, but had the same attaching problem.

Now that I have my brain out of a knot (sorry, couldn't resist) and can use the bull hitch, it should work fine.

Thanks!

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 07:45:22 PM »
An answer to Hrungnir's question could also be that
with a single strand reeved through the attachment
point, wear will be an issue (vs. the double strands
of the cow).

Here's another possibility, though it obviously depends
upon forethought (as does Hrungnir's) : form those stopper
(lanyard...) knots at both ends of your material; in this way,
either end might be pulled upon, the other stopping at
the attachment point (and whatever wear that comes
might be randomly distributed between the knotted ends).

There are various other structures that come to mind,
working with a bight-end (bowline on a bight, pile hitch noose)
but I don't quickly think of anything compelling.

--dl*
====