Author Topic: Jam-Resistant Hitches that Don't "Need" a Slip, from smallest to BIGGEST  (Read 18570 times)

knot4u

These are jam-resistant hitches that typically don't "need" a slip, arranged from smallest to BIGGEST. I will be changing this original post as replies below convince me why I should. 8)

The list is limited to hitches that are mainly right angle pull and that clamp down close to the object. For example, the list excludes gripping hitches (e.g., Klemheist, Prusik, etc.) and adjustable hitches (e.g., Tautline, Blake, etc.).

Assume the object may be any size (e.g., tiny or huge). So, let's say more wraps around the object means a bigger hitch. Of course, that's not always true, but it's a fair rule for the purpose of being able to make this list.

• Simple - ABOK #49

It's secure for a narrow sliver of applications (e.g., the V-shaped object in the pic), but it wins the "smallest" award.

• Half

It's quick, easy, temporary, limited.

• Two Reverse Half Hitches

It's slightly smaller than than Two Half Hitches (shown below).

• Two Half Hitches

Its true calling may be as a mid-air binder.

• Gnat

Roo's discovery, it actively rejects the idea of a slip.

• Timber - ABOK# 1665

It works better than it looks like it should, and tying merely one twist is adequate for many applications.

• Clove - ABOK# 11

It obviously must be here because, well, it's the Clove.

• Groundline - ABOK#1676

You might try this instead of the Clove.

• Bag - ABOK#1674

It's often preferred over the Groundline.

• Pedigree Cow

It's not secure if it's not tight against the object or if the object is relatively large.

• Round Turn & Two Half Hitches - ABOK #1720

It's a default hitch that's perfectly adequate for many applications.

• Backhand - ABOK #1852

It's possible to tie this hitch by passing only a bight around the object.

• Girth

It's a Cow with the working end attached to the standing end.

• Vibration Proof

• Bull

This added feature on the Cow can be multiplied as many times as desired.

• Pile

It's quick if an object end is accessible, easy to untie.

• Sailor

It holds confidently in many applications, easy to untie.

• Fist

Richard Peterson's discovery, it's an improvement to the Ossel, and works adequately in surgical tubing where many hitches fail.

• Snuggle

• Boom

« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 11:50:39 PM by knot4u »

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
A Timber Hitch can be fairly small, in terms of rope usage if the object isn't too big, although the wraps do extend around the object (at least partially), so it's a little expansive in that regard.

By the way, a simple half hitch can be made slightly more viable if arranged carefully (oops, I see you've updated your original post to match this image):
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 10:58:15 PM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
I quite like the Anchor "Bend" variant where the WE takes 2 passes around the round turn and then the hitch pulls up tight. It doesn't seem to jam (but maybe I've been lucky?). Very compact though.

Barry

TMCD

That's funny that you've got the two reverse HH's listed as wrong. I actually use the two reversed HH's quite often and it's a stable, effective hitch...Ashley even says it's decent enough. I agree 100% with Sweeney too, the Anchor Bend Variant is an AWESOME hitch that of course gets little play around here. It's a better hitch in my experiences than the regular Fisherman's Bend. I use it for tying to my small anchors on my fishing boat and it's never jammed real bad.

The Ossel Hitch works well for anchors and a whole variety of purposes as it's quite strong. The Bull Hitch works well enough for small anchors and such. I like the Teamster's way of tying a Clove Hitch too, just beef it up with a locking half hitch around the standing part...a really simple an effective hitch that's underrated IMO. That would probably be the Caddilac for what you're looking for because it's simple, effective and doesn't jam up. The Pedigree Cow Hitch should probably be mentioned as well, it works pretty well.

knot4u

That's funny that you've got the two reverse HH's listed as wrong. I actually use the two reversed HH's quite often and it's a stable, effective hitch...Ashley even says it's decent enough.

I guess "wrong" is relative to the title "Two Half Hitches". I can add "Two Reverse Half Hitches" in another entry.

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
Could I propose the Simple Hitch ABOK #49 for the number 1 position

knot4u

How do other people feel about the Anchor Bend and Fisherman Bend? Are they too jam-prone for this list?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 11:55:23 PM by knot4u »

Hrungnir

• Exp. Member
Four hitches I would like to add to the list: Pile Hitch, Cow Hitch, Sailor Hitch, Tautline Hitch.

Is the list for right angle pulls only?

I personally wouldn't put the Double Half Hitch or Anchor Bend in a top ten non-jamming list. However, the Clove Hitch usually doesn't need a slip either, and qualifies by the criteria given.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:19:15 AM by Hrungnir »

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
.... arranged from smallest to BIGGEST. I will be changing this original post as replies below convince me why I should.
Maybe it's worth asking:  How large is the hitching object?  Once you start talking about hitches that require more than one pass around the object, it makes a big difference.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:39:37 AM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

knot4u

.... arranged from smallest to BIGGEST. I will be changing this original post as replies below convince me why I should.
Maybe it's worth asking:  How large is the hitching object?  Once you start talking about hitches that require more than one pass around the object, it makes a big difference.

Good question, assume the object has unlimited size. So, let's say more wraps around the object means a bigger hitch. Of course, that's not always true, but it's an acceptable rule for the purpose of this list.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 02:48:59 AM by knot4u »

knot4u

Re: Non-Jamming Hitches that Don't "Need" a Slip, from smallest to BIGGEST
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 02:08:25 AM »
Four hitches I would like to add to the list: Pile Hitch, Cow Hitch, Sailor Hitch, Tautline Hitch.

Is the list for right angle pulls only?

The list is limited to hitches that are mainly right angle pull and that clamp down close to the object. For example, the list excludes gripping hitches (e.g., Klemheist, Prusik, etc.) and adjustable hitches (e.g., Tautline, Blake, etc.).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:46:58 AM by knot4u »

knot4u

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 03:05:46 AM »
I like the Teamster's way of tying a Clove Hitch too, just beef it up with a locking half hitch around the standing part...a really simple an effective hitch that's underrated IMO. That would probably be the Caddilac for what you're looking for because it's simple, effective and doesn't jam up.

I'll put it in if you get me a pic.

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 03:34:56 PM »
Hi K4U,

Might I ask why you have captioned the simple hitch as "It's not secure enough for almost all applications"?

It is designed to be secure (as in not slip) for all loads up to the failure of the rope, and yet be removable with a simple removal of the load and flicking a wave into the rope.  Have you mixed up security with 'ease of removal', because where you have a constant load, it is as secure as gravity itself...

Derek

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 05:20:59 PM »
With 3 coils or wraps around an object of "unlimited size", the Fist Hitch should be closer to the bigger end than hitches with 2 or 2.5 coils.  I realize that some hitches (Half Hitch, Timber Hitch, Sailor's Hitch, etc.) will vary on rope usage based on tyer technique and dressing.

If you need to measure actual rope usage, you might select a merely large hitching object, rather than one of unlimited size, and use masking tape to mark off the rope usage so that you can measure diameters of rope used once you untie the hitch.

(Diameters used = length used/rope diameter)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:25:25 PM by roo »

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 05:30:50 PM »
I'm a little uneasy about including a "simple" hitch.  It's a little too gimmicky in that it requires a special combination of hitching object and rope geometry to even begin to be possible.  Having a hitch that requires a special shoulder is like including a hitch that requires a narrow v-notch on some part of the post.

P.S.  I did have a stubborn jam with your Ossel Hitch you have shown when used on a small object.  But since the discussion is focused on larger objects, maybe that's not relevant.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:14:36 PM by roo »