Author Topic: monkeys fist  (Read 16337 times)

PatDucey

• IGKT Pacific Americas Branch
Re: monkeys fist
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2006, 11:18:45 PM »
Excellent story, Frank.  I too remember standing behing structure awaiting messenger lines during unrep when I was serving in Uncle Sams' yacht club.  Of course they were dangerous, but you needed to have some weight on the messenger to toss a line as far as it had to go.

Getting back to the "Ball of String".  The first real Turks Head I ever tied, under the watchful eye of my Grandpa,
was a fid.  It started as a nail, and I tied a 3Lead x 4Bight TH around the head of the nail.  This was followed by a 4L x 5B TH, and then a 5L x 6B TH.  This brought the head of the nail up to a size I could then use as a fid.  I have also used a Figure of 8 knot as the core of this kind of project.  Edward, if this is what you are thinking of for your project, you are going to need a large fid.  It wouldn't hurt to have some large needle nose pliers around, also.  I can help with templates for a succession of larger Turks Heads, or you can tie a succession of Monkey Fist knots where each one has more turns on each loop than the previous layer.

Pat

oceanplats

Re: monkeys fist
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2006, 11:59:15 AM »
Im ex ran ,lead in the m/fist was normal.
How many saw a bolo fly ,3 leads.
never seen a m/f cut ,plenty of backsplices were.
Regards