Author Topic: Asymmetric simply-interlinked-overhand-knot bends.  (Read 3295 times)

xarax

Asymmetric simply-interlinked-overhand-knot bends.
« on: February 17, 2012, 08:51:39 PM »
   Even in the case where the two overhand knots are interlinked in the most simple/naive way, we have four very different knots, which are expected to behave very differently, if used as bends. Which one will slip less, i.e. which one would be the more secure, safer bend ? If we test those knots, and we see that there is a scale, an hierarchy of security, when they are tied on a certain material, will this relation remain when all those knots will be tied on a different material - or on any other material ?
   My point is, I/(we?) just do not know, (yet...). The two asymmetric knots are not even reported, probably because they are regarded as "evidently" inferior. Judging from the way the tails are squeezed upon the interlinked bights by the tensioned standing parts, I have my doubts about this supposed inferiority of the asymmetric knots - and, in general, I can not predict the behaviour of each one of the four knots under heavy loading. My gut feeling is that it is quite possible the asymmetric knots would, in fact,  slip less than the symmetric ones, not more !
( See the attached pictures for the two asymmetric simply-interlinked-overhand-knot bends, and their well known symmetric companions).
This is not a knot.

anything