Author Topic: Recruiting new members?  (Read 21892 times)

Fairlead

• IGKT Member since 1984 - IGKT Librarian
Re: Recruiting new members?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 08:27:52 PM »
Hi Sam,
There are about 10 members in Ontario (including Robert Chisnall - the climbing authour) - Scarborough, Kingston, Waterloo, Cherry Valley, Omemee, Mississauga, Hamilton, Ottawa and London.
When you join, you will be given a membership list, with the names and addresses and phone numbers of these members.  The rest is up to you.
Also, not very far (in relative terms) just across the boarder in Michigan, is the NAB President and a small group in the Detroit area.

Gordon

Takler

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 12:02:13 PM »
Viewing forum and reading posts I found this discussion.

May I ask - what you think about new national branch?
I mean - I come from Poland and now is onone of IGKT member or knotting expert here. I work to build this (web site in polish started - a little workshops also).
Could you explain me - how to join new national branch to the IGKT???

Marcin
Szczecin, Poland

lcurious

• Chief Mate
  • Chief Mate -
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 03:14:14 PM »
Gordon
Make it 11 members in Ontario, I have just joined. I am in Toronto (North York), looking forward to getting some excellent tips on local supplies, sharing experiences and putting them to work on 'my' boat.
Paul

squarerigger

• Global Moderator
  • IGKTPAB Immediate Past President
    • The Knot Guy
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007, 04:01:32 PM »
Hi Paul,

That sounds like enough members to form a separate Branch if you were so minded?  Good luck with getting everybody together and do let me know if there is anything I can do to help with advice, suggestions, etc.  Bonne chance!

SR    ;D

lcurious

• Chief Mate
  • Chief Mate -
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 08:52:48 PM »
Gordon
I think it would be interesting to get together. How do I go about getting their URL's or other wise contacting them?
Paul

squarerigger

• Global Moderator
    • The Knot Guy
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2007, 09:14:33 PM »
Paul,

Look in your IGKT Member's handbook and write to them from the addresses given, whether they are URLs, e-mails or street addresses.

SR

PS - Gordon is on his way to the States at the moment, so he may be out of touch for a while.

lcurious

• Chief Mate
  • Chief Mate -
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2007, 09:23:19 PM »
SR
Thanks, I'll wait for my handbook. I never got a reply when I asked about paying, but that was just a few days ago, so I await, in limbo.
Paul
PS I filled out my profile (I think)

Knot Head

• Knot Head
  • Exp. Member
  • A knot is not just a knot...
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2007, 03:34:01 PM »
This is a topic I am most interested in myself. I have found that recruiting new members is a hard one to do. That is because of the generational gaps that we all meet with in the field of recruiting. The age of the person(s) is such a gap that when you are recruiting, you have to go from an 8yr old to someone that is between 30yrs old and 60, 70yrs old. The different maturity levels is the hardest thing to compensate for while in discussion.

On the other hand grabbing the potential recruit and showing them how to tie their first decrotive knot ie(diamond knot) simple enough, and they actually tie it after several tries, they are either hooked, or not. The average age of the Guild is predominately and gracefully about 30 to 60yrs of age. I believe that to be a liberal, deductive guess at the average age.

We must consider this situation to be important, for if we wish the Guilds around the world to continue and strive forward to the future, we must find creative, clever ways to recruite new members, or the Guilds will dissolve away with each member that passes away. In that matter, with each memeber that passes away, there goes their experience and knowlege of knot tying. I have this perception of experience from when my great grandmother passed away, ie(she knew how to make biscuts from scratch that were out of this world.) She never shared the secret reciepe with anyone in the family. Now, she's gone and no one in the family can make those fabulous biscuts anymore. So, if we don't recruit and share what we know about knot tying, knot tying will be lost forever.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 03:37:01 PM by Knot Head »
Regards,
Brian Kidd

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2007, 10:03:52 AM »
Hi Knothead,

Try this for an idea to engage the young whilst preserving your skill and knowledge.

Oldies are likely to have a mobile phone that my kids call a 'Ma Boswell' -- a brick that does one thing -- phone.  The younger generation by contrast are likely to carry a videophone and know how to use it (witnessed by the amazing rise in YouTube clips).

So, get some youngsters to video you tying knots (preferably with a commentary from you), then get them to post the clips either onto YouTube or better still into the Guild knot database wiki http://igkt.pbwiki.com/ using the new video feature.

By engaging the youngsters through a route that interests them (their mobiles and the internet), you might just lead them to an interest in the knot topic.  At the same time you are saving your skills and knowledge for posterity.

Derek

Knot Head

• Knot Head
  • Exp. Member
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2007, 04:43:36 PM »
Hmmm, now that's a creative and clever idea. I will have to experiment(ehehehehehe).... Good one... ;D
Regards,
Brian Kidd

nnerland

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2007, 04:50:39 AM »
Viewing forum and reading posts I found this discussion.

May I ask - what you think about new national branch?
I mean - I come from Poland and now is onone of IGKT member or knotting expert here. I work to build this (web site in polish started - a little workshops also).
Could you explain me - how to join new national branch to the IGKT???

Someone please answer this one :)
I too would like to knkow the answers to this .....

Regards
Nils G.

Knot Head

• Knot Head
  • Exp. Member
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2007, 05:15:22 AM »
I think you would have to talk to Nigel Harding about this one.
Regards,
Brian Kidd

squarerigger

• Global Moderator
    • The Knot Guy
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2007, 06:26:33 AM »
Dear Takler and Nils,

Forming a new Branch is straightforward - you read the IGKT constitution, draft your own new Branch constitution based on that of the IGKT, set down the rules to be used in your own Branch constitution (dues, meeting dates and times, election rules, etc), elect or co-opt IGKT members for officer and Board positions and send the whole package to Bruce Turley, Membership Secretary of the IGKT, or Dave Walker, Secretary of the IGKT.  For your information it is necessary (or at least highly recommended) that you have separate Board members, Officers and members.  If you have a Board of five and three Officers, they will all be IGKT members, so the number of members to form a Branch would be eight.  After sending the package of elected or co-opted members (with their permission signatures) names in the various positions together with a copy of the signed and dated constitution and rules, those documents will be ratified (or not) by the Council and your Branch officers and Board will be notified accordingly.  If not ratified, changes will be requested which, if successful, will result in ratification of your Branch.  That was how we did it when forming the Pacific Americas Branch (PAB) ten years ago and it seems to work! ;D

Lindsey
IGKTPAB President

WebAdmin

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2007, 10:40:22 AM »
Knothead said "I think you would have to talk to Nigel Harding about this one."

Can I just point out that Nigel turned over the reins of Secretary to Dave Walker just over a year ago.

Lesley
Lesley
WebAdmin

nnerland

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2007, 10:45:37 AM »
Thx. Now I'll need to trackk down the Norwegian IGKT members and start a conversation about this topic..

Regards
Nils G.