Author Topic: Symmetric Bends, by Roger E.Miles  (Read 2281 times)

xarax

Symmetric Bends, by Roger E.Miles
« on: October 26, 2011, 01:12:02 PM »
   A marvellous book !  From what I can tell ( It is only a few minutes that I have received by mail my copy ), it is a systematic, exhaustive enumeration of all  the simple symmetric bends.  Many of those bends were already known at the time the book was published ( June 1995), but some were not - and they remain largely unknown to this day.  Many of them can serve as practical bends as well, but, as far as I know,  they have not been tested for their jamming and strength characteristics.  A must for any serious knot tier- although the book is written in a somewhat "mathematical" looking style, that would not appeal so much to the more practically oriented minds of the majority. However, 60 of the "best" symmetric bends are presented in easy to read and have a look at, fine diagrams and pictures, that should be appreciated by anybody.
   (Needless to say, most, if not all, of he "new" bends I have published in this forum are already included in this book - but nobody ever mentioned them to me - a sure sign that only a handful of people have ever read this book, and those who read it are not participating in this forum any more.)

This is not a knot.

Dan_Lehman

Re: Symmetric Bends, by Roger E.Miles
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 04:42:18 AM »
(Needless to say, most, if not all, of he "new" bends I have published in this forum are already included in this book --but nobody ever mentioned them to me-- a sure sign that only a handful of people have ever read this book, and those who read it are not participating in this forum any more.)

Or, that you are mistaken : try enumerating and matching
your discoveries to the knots in the book, so we can see.
(And so this goes against concluding that Roger is exhaustive.)

Or, that such knots go beyond practical needs without any
clear benefit --and some clear trouble--, and don't gain
*traction* in the minds of readers.

Glad to see that Roger's work is gaining some interest
(which might induce further interest).

:)

KnotMe

• The Chinese Knotting Homepage
Re: Symmetric Bends, by Roger E.Miles
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 05:36:37 PM »
A must for any serious knot tier- although the book is written in a somewhat "mathematical" looking style
That's because it was written by mathematicians.  You'll note that the book was published in a series with books about theoretical/mathematical knots by an academic publisher.

(Needless to say, most, if not all, of he "new" bends I have published in this forum are already included in this book - but nobody ever mentioned them to me - a sure sign that only a handful of people have ever read this book, and those who read it are not participating in this forum any more.)
Read it so long ago (20 years?!?) that one honestly just never made the mental connection, sorry!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:37:41 PM by KnotMe »