Author Topic: can someone identify this knot?  (Read 2190 times)

kd8eeh

• Exp. Member
can someone identify this knot?
« on: November 01, 2012, 03:40:04 AM »
this knot is very simmilar to an angler's loop/tugboat knot, but the loop in the unloaded end is run the opposite direction.  i made it passing one loop of a constrictor knot throuth the other.  it is subject to slip somewhat if loaded on that strand, but loaded on the other strand it seems fine.  i like it for having a very clean apperance with a nice taper to it, yet not being hard to tie and as best i can tell, being fairly secure.  i don't really knot this though, as i have found many knots to be secure that are simply not secure in practice, namely because i tie most knots in shoelaces.  so if someone could identify this knot and give me some type of background information, that would be nice. these pictures show two of them, one from the front and the other from the back

knot4u

Re: can someone identify this knot?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 06:15:07 AM »
"Bowline with a Bight"
ABOK #1074
I would tie this in a Trucker Hitch as the sheave if I need a double loop for whatever reason.

EDIT:
The pics in the original post are confusing.  At first glance, it looks like the knot is a double loop.  After further inspection, I realize there are random, irrelevant strands of rope all over the pic.  It's a single loop.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 03:28:17 AM by knot4u »

Luca

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 01:19:36 AM »

http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=536.msg3829#msg3829

http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=211.msg1522#msg1522

Bye!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 03:39:58 AM by Luca »

kd8eeh

• Exp. Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 03:28:16 AM »
knot4u
these knots are single loop knots.  i just showed a picture front and back next to each other.  there is nothing bowlineish about it.

knot4u

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 03:35:51 AM »
knot4u
these knots are single loop knots.  i just showed a picture front and back next to each other.  there is nothing bowlineish about it.

I realize that now.  The pics are confusing.  There are random, irrelevant strands of rope in the pic.  The standing end needs to out of the shot, not hanging around confusing things.  Also, the tip of the working end should be visible to distinguish it clearly from the standing end.  Again, I know now that it's a single loop.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 03:36:40 AM by knot4u »

kd8eeh

• Exp. Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 03:47:19 AM »
ok.  i'll try to build a better knot phototography setup.  i'm currently dangling ropes in front of a webcam, so it doesn't work perfectly.  perhaps i could dangle it from a nail next to a wall or something.

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 05:55:30 AM »
> ... webcam ...

The problem is that one couldn't for sure determine what
the strands of the knot were --i.e., which two formed the
eye, which the SPart (well, that was obvious : the single
part running upwards).  At least make sure that those
things are understood (words can supplement images).

As for the image capture in particular, you might do better
with a light-colored background (maybe formed with a clipboard)
and some lighting set-up for it, and continue with the webcam.
They're not all so bad now, after all, and that could improve things.

--dl*
====