Author Topic: Animated Knots by Grog - now an Android App  (Read 4541 times)

GrogKnots

Animated Knots by Grog - now an Android App
« on: September 27, 2011, 02:57:41 PM »
I enjoy the discussions here. 
This is an Announcement followed by a Question.

The announcement is that we have finally released an Android App of Animated Knots by Grog:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.animatedknots.knots&feature=search_result
This was only released yesterday, so we welcome suggestions and ideas for improvement.
The iPhone version is still available at:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/animated-knots-by-grog/id376302649?mt=8

The question we have is about a name.
We are about to add a new section on Splicing to the website:
http://www.animatedknots.com
We have prepared the photographs for a locked Brummel Splice.
Before publishing this addition, we would love to know the origin of the name Brummel.

Anyone with information, please contact us.
Thank you,
Grog

squarerigger

• Global Moderator
  • IGKTPAB Immediate Past President
    • The Knot Guy
Re: Animated Knots by Grog - now an Android App
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 07:27:40 PM »
Hi Grog,

Try talking to Brion Toss - I saw the name Brummel in his books first - can't remember which one, but it was there I first saw the name Brummel,

SR

dfred

• Exp. Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 09:26:52 PM »
According to The Art of Knotting and Splicing (4th Ed.), p. 176:
The Brummel Splice is a quick and easy splice that is generally used to make Jib or Genoa sheets for sails with the use of only one shackle or Brummel hook.

Apparently Brummel hooks are also known as Inglefield clips, after their inventor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inglefield_clip

I didn't track down the origin of the association of the name Brummel with these fasteners.  Perhaps an early or major manufacturer??

dfred

• Exp. Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 10:04:04 PM »
Following-up my own post...  Gordon T. Brummel patented a device he called a "Fast Jaw Hook" in the US in 1951.  In most respects it quite similar to the Inglefield clip.

Patent D163568 on Google:  http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=uRBzAAAAEBAJ

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 10:04:50 PM by dfred »

GrogKnots

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 10:04:59 PM »
Thank you!  I had discovered the Brummel Hook (and the Inglefield).   I also managed to track down a possible inventor.  Unfortunately he died in the mid 1960's and I have so far made zero progress with descendants.
 - Grog -

GrogKnots

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 10:34:47 PM »
Yes!  Indeed it was Gordon T Brummel whose name I had found.
However, the description in Day's book of using a "Brummel" splice to attach a shackle or hook was written, I think, before the introduction of the hi-tech 12 strand hollow braids - the lines for which the Brummel is so well suited.  It would certainly simplify my search if the "Brummel Splice" was initially described for attaching a "Brummel Hook" but I am cautious about accepting this. Comments and advice about this time-line would be appreciated.
 - Grog -

dfred

• Exp. Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 03:11:58 AM »
However, the description in Day's book of using a "Brummel" splice to attach a shackle or hook was written, I think, before the introduction of the hi-tech 12 strand hollow braids - the lines for which the Brummel is so well suited.  It would certainly simplify my search if the "Brummel Splice" was initially described for attaching a "Brummel Hook" but I am cautious about accepting this. Comments and advice about this time-line would be appreciated.
 - Grog -

You are correct, and not surprisingly the 1st edition of AK&S (1947) does not contain the Brummel Splice.  According to the preface to the the 4th Edition (1986), much of the updated material in that edition is related to splicing modern synthetic braided line.    The 4th ed. was edited by Ray O. Beard, Jr. and M. Lee Hoffman, Jr.   Quote from preface:

...New splices with double-braided synthetic lines compose the largest addition.   Descriptions of the basic eye-splice, the back splice, the end-for-end splice, the Brummel splice, and the doubled-braided rope-to-wire splice are included.   Bob Halley, Steve Perez and Jim Mumper of the Naval Station Small Craft Facilities Rigging Shop, Annapolis, provided valuable advice, for which we are grateful.

In poking around on several sites I do see Brion Toss's name pop up a few times in relation to the Brummel splice, possibly related to an improved method of making it.  So I'd second squarerigger's advice and see what he has to say.   I believe he's reachable here http://www.briontoss.com/about/contact.html.

However, I think the name predates the 1980s, as I found a hit for "brummel splice" on Google Books, in Yachting Magazine Vol. 131 (1972), p. 112.  Unfortunately there's no preview.   This was the snippet of text provided:  "02210, has the following available: "Instructions for a Brummel Splice"; "Samson Yacht Braid to Wire Splice"; a folder called "Samson Anchoring Tips"; "Samson Basic Eye Splice for 2-in-l Braided Rope". , . . A folder illustrating types ..."

Just as an aside, I think hollow braided synthetic ropes may have been commonly in use for water ski tow ropes quite early.  My father, a fairly avid water skier in his younger years, remembers Brummel clips being used on hollow-braid polypropylene ski ropes as far back as perhaps the late 50's or early 60s.  He didn't remember exactly what splice they used, but they were spliced.   He said that the boats often had a permanently affixed Brummel hook compatible tow loops on the transom and for the handles.  The ropes had brummel clips spliced to their ends to allow quick removals and changes.

I found another non-preview hit for Skiing on Water,  John Henry Andresen, 1960, Ronald Press Co.  This was the only text displayed:  "b) All splices shall be clean and firm with a minimum of three tucks. (c) The tow line may be made in one section ... The attachment may be made by looping the ropes together or by a Brummel hook, or ring and snap hook with a minimum ..."

An even earlier snippet from The Rudder, Vol. 69, 1953, The Rudder Publishing Company - Text snippet:
"Deck Fitting Fast F?t Jaw HARNESS SPLICE Fast Eye Nub Hook' BRUMMEL HOOK CO. 1619 W. Winona Ave. Chicago 40, IB. Water Ski Association Adopts Brummel Hooks The American Water Ski Association announces that they have adopted Brummel Fast ..."

GrogKnots

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 08:39:44 PM »
Hi dfred:

Thanks!

Very interesting information.  I think you are right about water ski towlines.   Without paying especial attention to it, we were using water-ski lines which had a splice in them.  Ski towlines probably adopted Brummels as soon as the could.  I would love to know what year it was that floating poly lines became available.

Grog