Author Topic: Animated Knots 3D -- New iPhone App  (Read 4325 times)

nynix

• Animated Knots 3D
Animated Knots 3D -- New iPhone App
« on: September 19, 2011, 10:26:20 PM »
Hello All,

Though I have been to this site many times, I just registered today and this is my first post.

I thought I would let you know of an app I created called Animated Knots 3D.  It is a bit different than most of the knot apps already out there in that it uses "virtual rope" and allows the rotation of the knot so you can see it from any angle in 3D.  Look at the knot at 45?, 90?, 180? or anywhere in-between!  In addition to the knots themselves, there is information on strength and reliability, structural info, Ashley reference numbers (ABoK#) and knot tying pointers and sometimes the history behind the knot.

Available on the App Store:

App Store - Animated Knots 3D

Check out a video of the app in action here:
Animated Knots 3D iPhone Demo - YouTube

I realize this audience knows a lot about knots -- I'm sure more than I do.  If you have constructive criticism, I'd like to hear it but preferably on this thread and not in a review section on iTunes!  :)

Please check it out.  I have ideas on how to make the app better (ie lots more knots!) and have started on some of them, but would love to know what the experts think!

Thanks,

Dave

Nynix Development
http://nynix.com
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:27:15 PM by nynix »

knot4u

Re: Animated Knots 3D -- New iPhone App
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 11:29:48 PM »
Amazing, that's the mother of all apps, pics, video, or whatever for displaying knots.  The innovations of some people are inspiring and humbling.  Keep up the good work.  I love to see people in the middle of doing.  Is this app available for the Droid?

I don't feel like I'm worthy to criticize your work.  However, since you did ask for possible improvement, I suggest having a pic of each knot fully tightened and dressed properly.  If you can, make it a real pic and not a simulated pic.  This feature is unnecessary but would be a nice luxury when you consider, for example, a fully tightened Zeppelin Bend looks quite a bit different than a loosened Zeppelin Bend.  Users of this app may find themselves searching for pics on the Internet to see how their tightened knot compares to a real tightened knot.  That would be a shame because your app is otherwise a self-contained bad-ass monster.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 11:32:59 PM by knot4u »

xarax

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 11:34:08 PM »
   Virtual reality pictures is the future for the 3D representation of knots.
  ( It would be great if we can use different colours for different ropes, and be able to zoom in and out. The feeling one has when he can translate and rotate an object, and change the scale of its picture, is superb, and , for knots, it provides an understanding that still pictures can not offer ).
   You do not need us ! You are ahead of us. We need you !
   Now I am thinkng of it, I see no reason to post any more pictures of knots...I will send them to you, and you will re-draw them, and offer them in 3D virtual reality form. I am saved !  :)   
   I will e-mail you all the knots I have taken pictures of, immediately. You are absolutely free to use them as you wish, as they belong to the public.
   You could help the user by having a "tree" structure, that connects similar knots, into families of knots. The best web site for knots is :
http://www.layhands.com/knots/

Congratulations !

P.S. knot4u is absolutely right. You should present models of loose AND tightened knots.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 03:50:35 PM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

nynix

• Animated Knots 3D
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 12:25:49 AM »
knot4u and xarax,  Wow, thank you!  I am encouraged by your kind remarks!   I am working on an Android version -- hopefully ready to go in a month or two.  xarax, if you want to send me your knot pics, that would be great.  Some knots are easier to draw than others, but the actual creation of the knots takes a fair amount of time.  For now my focus is on a Droid version, adding variable speed to the drawing, and possibly a few new knots (The fishing section is lacking so I may add a few there).  As time goes on I am certainly open to suggestions, particularly from this audience.

Thank you again for your positive remarks and warm welcome to this forum.

-Dave

Rrok007

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 02:23:50 PM »
Wow! I'm very interested in seeing this on the android... do you have any plans for a decorative knot version at any point?

squarerigger

• Global Moderator
  • IGKTPAB Immediate Past President
    • The Knot Guy
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 03:13:46 AM »
Hi Dave,

I agree that this needs a drawn-up version (faired version, tightened version or whatever other term you care to use) of the knot.  I would also recommend that you identify the working end and standing part/end of the lines used, so that the user knows which direction to pull.  I have not looked at the wording for every knot you have detailed and I note that you have included some decorative knots in your list.  Are you able to download a pdf or other file that shows all the written content as well?  That would be very helpful for review - thanks!

SR

JohnC

• Exp. Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 12:52:23 AM »
Hi All

Just thought I'd throw my support behind this app, which I've been using for some time and which is still regularly updated by the developer (last update March 2017).

At the very least it's a great backup when you're away from home and don't have access to your library of knot books. I use the iPhone version so I can't comment on Android.

(Disclosure: I have no connection with the app or the developer)
John

anything