Author Topic: Making a rope ladder  (Read 13770 times)

Hrungnir

• Exp. Member
Making a rope ladder
« on: September 22, 2011, 08:35:34 PM »
Hei guys!

Some months ago I made myself a rope ladder for strength training purposes. I used the instructions roo had on his website: http://notableknotindex.webs.com/ladder.html It's a bit work making a ladder like that, but it works well and the end result is good. However, you'll soon notice some heavy rope burns when using such a ladder for training purposes, especially if the rope is made of some hard and stiff material.

I stumbled upon this interesting video made by Bjorn Granum http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toTRLxQ9FXs&feature=feedu
He uses some small pipes as handles to cover the rope and knots. The knot he is using is the Fisherman's Knot. The downside by using the Fisherman's Knot is that you have to pass through a lot of rope for every single knot. Another thing is that the overhand knots will spread apart if he uses the ladder upside down.

A better suited knot would probably be the Midspan Sheet Bend? You'll be able to make the rope ladder in a much shorter period of time, because you don't have to pass through all that rope for every knot. You will also avoid the problem that the ladder can't be used "up side down". The downside is however the much more bulkier knot.

From what I can see from roos website http://notableknotindex.webs.com/midspan.html the Midspan Sheet Bend is supposed to be loaded in the same manner as a rope ladder. Which should be a strong indication that the Midspan Sheet Bend won't capsize like the original Sheet Bend after such a loading.

Further suggestions and comments would be appreciated ;)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 08:41:54 PM by Hrungnir »

asemery

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: Making a rope ladder
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 04:54:31 PM »
Hello Hrungnir,

There are probably numerous ways to make a rope ladder and hopefully we'll hit upon quite a few, but that said I would like to know if what you are seeking is dependent on particular type of rope. Or are you looking for a knot that will work potentially with any type of rope/material/construction?

On the outside chance the it is not specific to the rope on hand, the simplest method I can think of that will work in either direction would be to use an affair with a series loops/eyes that omnidirectional, e.g., butterfly loop. Make the eyes large enough for two feet inside (room to spare) and space them to your needs. Disassembly might be a concern and the Butterfly should release well enough.

If you'll use separate rungs I would think that a number of right angle hitches tied in the bight  will work. Notching the rungs at each end will help to capture the rope so to limit sliding off. Perhaps a Ground Line hitch ABOK#1680 or a constrictor (or variation to aesthetically please) will do.

Hollow rungs and feeding the rope through can work, but it will be a lot of work that may not work as well as just a inline hitch.

If the rope is laid construction you could take the pair of ropes and at intervals open the lay and insert the notched rungs. For permanence, a small seizing above and below will help.

Just some thoughts.

SS

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
Re: Making a rope ladder
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 09:14:29 PM »
I seem to remember this topic arising before. If making a ladder with solid rungs then constrictor knots at each end are quick to tie and reliable (if my memory serves me this was suggested by Dan Lehman). I made a model ladder for my grandson's fort and it survived the rigors of a six year old for more than a year (probably more wear than most real ladders!).

Barry
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 09:15:10 PM by Sweeney »