Author Topic: Webadmin: guidance requested: moving a thread  (Read 3287 times)

WebAdmin

• Administrator
Webadmin: guidance requested: moving a thread
« on: August 23, 2011, 11:30:48 PM »

Dear All

For myself, and arising from the Bowline discussion over it's proper location, I would like to have concise answers to the following point, so that I can better understand how to serve the Forum:

- if I am requested to move a thread, do I post notice of that request and seek the contributors' opinions within the thread, or in a separate location (with a single post in the original thread to alert people to the new discussion)?

Please feel free to discuss it as much as you like, I'll check in on a weekly basis until you're finished, but rather than my having to wade through everyone's individual opinion and try to work out the final answers, please can someone summarise the final answers concisely for me?  Consider yourselves a temporary sub-committee, if you wish, and nominate someone to give me the answers once you know who's involved in the debate.  This doesn't mean I won't be reading the discussion, just that I want clear, concise guidance.

Thank you,

Glenys
Lesley
WebAdmin

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: Webadmin: guidance requested: moving a thread
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 11:43:51 PM »

- if I am requested to move a thread, do I post notice of that request and seek the contributors' opinions within the thread, or in a separate location (with a single post in the original thread to alert people to the new discussion)?

Posting a notice in the potentially offending thread with a link to a poll about the placement of that thread in the Feedback Forum seems like a natural and relatively non-disruptive approach.

If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 11:52:27 PM »
I agree with Roo's proposal as the ideal means of allowing such a discussion to proceed without hijacking the thread in question.

Derek

xarax

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 03:33:03 AM »
Posting a notice in the potentially offending thread

The question of the Web-Admin was not about potentially offending threads ! It was about  threads that are off-section . Potentially offending threads should be deleted instantly, without prior notice, and without prior opinion poll. The Web-admins should have the power and the responsibility for such action, and use it only when really needed, as a last resort, and as rarely as possible. When in doubt, or when it is not an urgent need of an action, the Web-admins could have an exchange of personal messages with the author of the potentially offending thread or post, in an effort to persuade her/him to make the appropriate corrections by her/himself. Of course, the members of the forum would be free to criticise this action afterwards, in the same section or thread it was exercised.
This is not a knot.

knot4u

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »

You should move a thread wherever you want and post a brief reason.  If it were my forum, I wouldn't post a reason.  However, you seem like a nicer guy than me.

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »
You should move a thread wherever you want and post a brief reason.  If it were my forum, I wouldn't post a reason.  However, you seem like a nicer guy than me.
I'm finding myself agreeing with this general idea as opposed to leaving a misplaced thread to sit around for a week.  

Maybe the polling route should only be used when the moderator is at a loss as to where to put a misplaced thread.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 02:01:21 AM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 08:04:20 PM »
You should move a thread wherever you want and post a brief reason.  If it were my forum, I wouldn't post a reason.  However, you seem like a nicer guy than me.
I'm finding myself agreeing with this general idea as opposed to leaving a misplaced thread to sit around for a week. 

Maybe the polling route should only be used when the moderator is at a loss as to where to put a misplaced thread.

Let me paraphrase this -

It is more important to you both that a thread is in the 'right place' than 'what is in that thread'

and you are quite ready to 'hack off' the posters putting content into the topic, rather than have it in (as you see it)' in the wrong place'

Note to self - If you ever find out who the real people are behind the nicknames Roo and Knot4u, be certain NEVER to vote for them to be moderators.

Derek

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 10:33:47 PM »

Let me paraphrase this -

It is more important to you both that a thread is in the 'right place' than 'what is in that thread' and you are quite ready to 'hack off' the posters putting content into the topic, rather than have it in (as you see it)' in the wrong place'
I'm not sure I'm understanding you.  Could you try to explain this another way?  I see the content of the first post as being very much related to where it rightly belongs.

Notable Knot Index

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 05:37:47 PM »
@Roo  I think you understand me perfectly - we just have a difference of opinion.

Derek

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 09:01:34 PM »
@Roo  I think you understand me perfectly - we just have a difference of opinion.

Derek
Hmm.  So you don't see the content of the first post as being related to where the thread rightly belongs?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 02:14:55 AM by roo »

Notable Knot Index

DDK

• Exp. Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 12:19:59 AM »
I have participated in a few other forums and not a one moved threads by consensus.  I think that the moderator should
feel free to move threads when they think it is appropriate to do so. Otherwise, one invites the wasteful and time
consuming pushing of points of view and other dramatics.  I do not see much (or any) downside to the moving of a thread.
It is not like the thread becomes hidden or obscured.

There are endeavors which require a committee (eg. is Pluto a Planet?), the moving of a thread should not.

DDK

anything