Author Topic: Crossing knot-based end-of-line loops.  (Read 7387 times)

xarax

Crossing knot-based end-of-line loops.
« on: August 17, 2011, 02:08:45 AM »
   Using a Crossing knot structure as a base, we can tie Crossing knot "Bowlines", ( in left- or right-hand, and common or Eskimo variations), but also some other interesting end-of-line loops. I do not know if those loops are more secure or strong than their "Bowline" relatives, i.e. the loops where the crossing knot is interlocked with a bowline-type, "proper" collar.
   (See the attached pictures for some simple Crossing knot-based loops.)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 02:13:31 AM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

xarax

Re: Crossing knot-based end-of-line loops.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 02:12:43 AM »
   2 more Crossing knot-based loops. If we re-tuck the tail another time, we get more complex, but also more secure loops.
This is not a knot.

xarax

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 02:57:48 AM »
   For an easy comparison, see the attached pictures for the Crossing knot-based Common "Bowlines" ( left- and right-hand variations).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 03:00:05 AM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

xarax

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 03:05:00 AM »
   See the attached pictures for the more interesting Eskimo variations of the Crossing Knot-based "Bowlines". 
This is not a knot.

X1

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 05:48:24 PM »
  I do not remember any more why this most simple crossing knot loop shown in the attached pictures was not included in this presentation of variations of crossing-knot-based loops at this thread... I dare to unearth this long dead and buried thread, just to post it, because it is convenient to have them all in the same place. Who knows, may be somebody would tie, try and compare them some time...
  The crossing-knot-based end of line loops have one great advantage and obe great disadvantage, in comparison to the bowlines. They have a very stable nipping loop, where the danger of opening up and degrading to a helix are easily prevented. However, those nipping loops do not nip the legs of the collar as hardly as in the case of the bowlines, because some nipping force is wasted within the turns of the crossing knot s "8" shaped form.

anything