Author Topic: worm, parcel & serve (re: PAB #55)  (Read 15860 times)

Jimbo_The_Kinky

Re: worm, parcel & serve (PAB #55)
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2006, 05:02:03 PM »
No Jimbo, to serve up close to an obstruction there is often (normally added by the user, not the maker) a grove/nick in the end of the mallet in line with the handle

Thank you, Fairlead!

That actually answers a lot of unasked questions!

Now I'm trying to figure out how I heard about that!!  I though it was in Toss' Complete Rigger's Apprentice, but look though I might, I can't find it anywhere now...  <sigh>  Such is the 'H' 'E' double-hockey-sticks that is my life.

Now where did little sister's croquet mallets go...?

Jimbo_The_Kinky

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2006, 05:44:48 PM »
ps. don't shudder at those aroused by cordage.  they're a whole demographic that we want to bring into the fold, right?  8) 8)

Hmmmm...  I bet you're lots of fun at parties!   8)

Seriously, the BDSM crowd used to have the best instructions on knottery on the WWWeb.  Before I found this site, the best online knot reverence I had used human models to show how to tie the various knots, and which ones not to use on a lover.

It's hard to appreciate a Constrictor Knot if your reference adamantly insists that you never use it!

But (joking aside) I really do agree with you.  My fundamental philosophy of life is to include, accept, understand, encourage, permit, tolerate, enjoy, and enlighten all other inquisitive people, regardless ...

And there's one other point that could fit here.  Since you mentioned a certain censorship advocate, I just wanted to mention that the Internet was invented by a tribe who considers Freedom their most cherished posession, and Freedom of Speech is #1 on their "Don't Tread On Me" list.  So, while we "ugly Americans" will gladly give our lives to make sure anyone (our Constitution says "PEOPLE", not "citizens") can freely advocate censorship, that doesn't mean we're likely to listen to or support them.

(And "c u n t l i n e" was the Word, until some religious fanatic decided "the C word" would now be "naughty".  Would some censorship advocate PLEASE explain how that is supposed to work??  How can you people possibly expect us to respect you, if you just throw words away like that??  What are you thinking???)

Seriously, "cont" is not a word, so what would a "cont line" look like??  "Cant" means tilted, so that somewhat works...  But look what else "cant" means:
cant2 (k&#259;nt)
n.
1. Monotonous talk filled with platitudes.
2. Hypocritically pious language.
3. The special vocabulary peculiar to the members of an underworld group; argot.
4. Cant See Shelta.
5. Whining speech, such as that used by beggars.
6. The special terminology understood among the members of a profession, discipline, or class but obscure to the general population; jargon.

See synonyms at dialect.

intr.v., cant·ed, cant·ing, cants.
1. To speak tediously or sententiously; moralize.
2. To speak in argot or jargon.
3. To speak in a whining, pleading tone.

So, IMNERHO, maybe "cant" would work here on a few levels...  "argot or jargon" ... "moralize" ... "vocabulary peculiar", "obscure to the general population" -- sound like they had "bowline", "forecastle", "gunwale", "tackle", "hitch", "bend", "turn", etc. in mind??  If "the C word" (see n #2) so offends the obsequious as to inhibit conversation, then "CANT line" gets my vote as its censor-dodging replacement.

squarerigger

• Global Moderator
  • IGKTPAB Immediate Past President
    • The Knot Guy
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2006, 07:07:03 PM »
Hi Jimbo,

Thanks for your input, as usual.  Your words are many and delightful and really get your point across.  To give you your own props, you're right, you're right, you're right, you're right!  Now, to answer (without the aid of a dictionary or even a balancing pole ;D) the questions you had previously posed...you had asked in a previous posting about why one would use a serving mallet to apply worming...

Except for a dumb question:  Why would one use a Serving Mallet (a tool used to increase the tension applied when wrapping Standing Rigging with marline/string) for worming (laying in small stuff to fill the contline* as noted above)??

...and then later asked what the multiple thickness worming is called and how would it be applied...

There again, at the risk of carrying on after the Last Word, what was that called, where you Worm a small cord in a big contline, then worm in ever smaller cords in the decreasing-size contlines thereby formed?  "Reworming"??  "Worming-worming"?  Whatever it's called, do you start with very small stuff to fill the "bottom" of the big (first) contline??  Or is that what the Slush is for?

First question (not dumb):  You use a serving mallet because it's there and it works!  The serving mallet ensures that the worming stays in place and fills the space (use whatever word you like - it's a public forum!) - if the worming is slack it can leave the finished surface lumpy - aesthetics and practical solutions - who knew?

Second question:  The multiple thickness is called worming as far as I know, but I am not the Last Word on this - maybe you know?  It works when you don't have a twine to hand (even a #120) that would fill the entire sort-of triangular space (I guess that it is really a portion of a circle) more completely.  You put in the largest one first to take up the greatest space, and then make up the additional filler needed (if any) with smaller twine.  I am not smart enough yet to put diagrams in here, but the simple geometry learned in elementary school should be enough to describe how one size does not complete the job well enough for some applications where a regular smooth surface is desired.  I'll try to put pictures in here for you.  One last point - slush is not used for worm, parcel and service as far as I know - do you have some information that helps decide this?  As far as I know, slush compounds are comprised of a grease and tar with a carrier solvent, used to preserve and lubricate (only where necessary on gaff-rigged vessels) the spars - am I wrong?

Your Last Word please.... :D

Lindsey

aknotter

• Exp. Member
  • Member IGKT-PAB since 2000
    • Pacific Americas Branch of the IGKT
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2006, 11:22:00 PM »
OK, here's my 2 cents . . .

Use a serving mallet 'cause Ashley says so!
       (((I mean that as a joke!)))

However, if you look at ABOK 3337, he shows a drawing of worming being done with a pretty detailed written description of the process. If I may quote it partially, "Large standing rigging is always wormed before parceling, the purpose being to fill all cracks and keep out moisture."

And the very next knot, ABOK 3338 shows "Sister worming, also called backing and side worming."

Ashley also uses the dreaded "C" word in ABOK 3338s description - horrors!

Yeah, I know, I have too much time on my hands!
Jimmy R Williams - IGKTPAB Secretary/Treasurer
Site: IGKTPAB.ORG Email: IGKTPAB@GMAIL.COM
Event Pix: PICASAWEB.GOOGLE.COM/IGKTPAB

Jimbo_The_Kinky

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2006, 02:26:42 AM »
Okay, now I'm an aknotter fan!   Why?  'Cause Ashley says so!!   :D

"Large standing rigging is always wormed before parceling, the purpose being to fill all cracks and keep out moisture."

That doesn't mention smooth hand-comfort...
ABOK 3338 shows "Sister worming, also called backing and side worming."

That's an accurate quote, which serves well to illustrate another thread: "backing" has a different meaning here than in splicing -ambiguity inhibits communication- perhaps this is another "boo-boo" the IGKT could "fix"...?
It works when you don't have a twine ... that would fill the entire sort-of triangular space ... more completely.  You put in the largest one first to take up the greatest space, and then make up the additional filler needed (if any) with smaller twine.

What about the space under the largest, first one?

I apologize for getting "slush" confused with the "usual" waterproofing tar.  I should go look at a sailing ship some day...

Your Last Word please....

I get the hint.  As an homage, let me quote CWA:

Worm and parcel with the lay,
turn about and serve away.

oceanplats

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2006, 06:35:59 PM »
not really hard -worm and parcel with the lay,turn and serve the other way.Need 3 bods when doing 3 inch stuff,the serving stuff was all tarred and makes a mess due to the tension on mallet -1977,,north sea

KnotNow!

• IGKT-PAB PAST PRESIDENT
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2006, 12:19:07 AM »
Hi Carol,
 I've been off line for a few days and have been re-reading to ge caught up.  Seems that nobody answered your question "so the whole rope was served, not just the ends?"  Short answer is that depends on the usage and location.  Squarerigger could give a more complete answer (knowing his "ropes" so much better than I).  One other thought on "sister worming" and worming in general for decoration and/or comfort;  sister worming and standard worming make the rope very comfortable in the hand (probably why manropes were wormed?).  If only wormed but not parceled or served the rope is still very flexable yet smoother to the hand and often quite attractive as well.
ROY S. CHAPMAN, IGKT-PAB BOARD.

anything