Author Topic: ABOK 1st Edition Unabridged Question -new member-  (Read 3081 times)

bluebamboogirl

ABOK 1st Edition Unabridged Question -new member-
« on: July 30, 2011, 11:56:46 PM »
greetings, I'm a new member but have been tying and loving knots for as long as I can remember.  Today I was given a 1945 1st Edition Unabridged and Complete (manufactured under wartime conditions) Ashley Book of Knots for my 31st Birthday.  Before today I had never hugged a book so much.  I went online to look up information on this edition and was unable to locate anything.  I work at a bookstore and found another first edition (1944) which is about half an inch thinner.  If the book was published differently are they both 1st editions?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  I've been working from the later edition corrected by you guys.  Thanks!
Lauren

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
Re: ABOK 1st Edition Unabridged Question -new member-
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 08:45:45 AM »
Welcome to the forum bluebamboogirl, I hope you'll find it useful and look forward to more posts from you.

The Guild owns a first edition of Ashley signed by the great man himself so I'll drop a note to our librarian in case he doesn't see this post and see if that can help.

Barry

deckhandiana

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 06:59:34 PM »
Hello Lauren, welcome to the website.   I have a very early edition of ABOK too, and it goes wherever I do - it's such a joy to have, I've used it now for about 15 years and am still finding pages I didn't know existed...   The few innaccuracies merely make it more challenging!

Diana.

bluebamboogirl

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 09:52:55 PM »
thanks much, i would really like to talk to the librarian, if you could pass along my number it's * Removed* Send it by personal message for security.  I noticed last night that both books have the same amount of pages and knots and on the wartime one the ink is bolder. I'm guessing that durring the war in 1945 the gov't took all the high quality materials and that's why the paper is so much thicker on the 1945 edition compared to the 1944.  Also on the 1945 the binding is worn, the pages are brown and the binder title is hardly readable. So here is my dilema, we have both for sale at the same price and my boss doesn't care which I choose to have for my b-day present. I can't decide!  I like the 1944 b/c it's older and in better condition, but the wartime production of the 1945 give it character and may make it more valuable(yes?). I have a 1993 edition that i've use, abuse, love and cherish so which ever one i choose will be more of a show piece.  Which would you choose?
Lauren
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 10:40:28 PM by SS369 »

asemery

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 12:50:03 AM »
I have a 1944 edition published under wartime conditions.  I bought it in 1965 for the princely sum of $7.50 at the Mariner's Museum in Newport News, Va..  I was stationed in nearby Norfolk.
  I also have a 1980 softcover edition published by the Cole's chain of bookstores.  That is the one I refer to to save the earlier edition

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 08:49:30 AM »
thanks much, i would really like to talk to the librarian, if you could pass along my number it's * Removed* Send it by personal message for security.

You can get in touch with the librarian at IGKTLibrary@aol.com.

Barry

JD

• Solent Branch of the International Guild of Knot Tyers
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 10:51:13 AM »
I personally have a re-bound copy of ABOK. In the back it has the following inscription "Rebound by R. L. Bell with much bad language MCMLXVj under the tutelage of William Matthews"

I remember when I was a boy (1964ish) Rory would sit on the beach in Aden and  create wonderful works of art from rope he found on the beach.

Here is a lanyard he made for a bottle opener.

He was also a guild member, but do not know when exactly.

I LOVE MY BOOK!!

dewildeman

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 04:30:09 AM »
Here is a lanyard he made for a bottle opener.

I LOVE MY BOOK!!

I love your bottle opener and lanyard!